200Tdi - Td5 Gauges Upgrade

As for my connector search, I think I'm going to cut my losses and buy a 15-way connector from VWP, cut the existing one off and fit a new male/female set. It's the most hassle-free way.

Not sure if you have already, but have you tried asking at a Land Rover dealer to see if the instrument loom to main dash loom 14way sumitomo connector halves are available separatley as spare parts? :unsure:

I know other vehicle manufactures will sell you connectors separately, it would be mighty handy if Land Rover did to save people having to buy whole looms for one connector! :(

did it work with the td5 wiring i can t get mine to work i need to rewire it to orignal spec not td5 spec i think

Yes, find ED's post within the wibbly wobbly speedo thread, he moved the temp gauge wire to another terminal on the back of the Td5 speedo & got his temp gauge working ok.

or use 15amp spade connectors, which I did on the original loom to get the TD5 pack to work, since replaced by the 300Tdi ROW loom & a 2001 Freelander vehicle socket. might be worth a look around a Scrappy for a dead Freelander & obtain the socket from it.

If you're off to the scrappy looking for a Freelander to get the connector from, here's where to find it -

post-148-1247258375_thumb.jpg

Not sure if you have already, but have you tried asking at a Land Rover dealer to see if the instrument loom to main dash loom 14way sumitomo connector halves are available separatley as spare parts? :unsure:

I know other vehicle manufactures will sell you connectors separately, it would be mighty handy if Land Rover did to save people having to buy whole looms for one connector! :(

Land Rover don't sell connectors separately :(

If you look in RAVE at the connector face details you'll see a Rover Group part number under the illustration, a VERY FEW connectors are available from Rover car parts dealers (e.g. Rimmer Brothers), but not this particular one (YPC10495), nor many other Land Rover useful ones.

I got my tame main dealer parts man to look up some of the connector part numbers from RAVE and none of them were valid part numbers, he suggested that they were Rover Group internal part numbers used for production purposes only.

In fact, the only useful connectors that I've got through Rover dealers are the RISTS TTS connectors, used in the Range Rover Classic (and the real Mini) -

post-148-1247259378_thumb.jpg

Some of these RISTS TTS connectors are also available from Autosparks

Land Rover don't sell connectors separately :(

If you look in RAVE at the connector face details you'll see a Rover Group part number under the illustration, a VERY FEW connectors are available from Rover car parts dealers (e.g. Rimmer Brothers), but not this particular one (YPC10495), nor many other Land Rover useful ones.

I got my tame main dealer parts man to look up some of the connector part numbers from RAVE and none of them were valid part numbers, he suggested that they were Rover Group internal part numbers used for production purposes only.

In fact, the only useful connectors that I've got through Rover dealers are the RISTS TTS connectors, used in the Range Rover Classic (and the real Mini)

Some of these RISTS TTS connectors are also available from Autosparks

Hmm, shame they don't! <_<

So its a freelander loom plug or replace the connecter with another high density connector. :i-m_so_happy:

Next question:-

The terminals fitted in the top and bottom Speedo plugs (C1061 & C1060, pink colour), anybody know where i could obtain these (or are they next to unobtainable like the Sumitomo connectors :lol: )? Require them so i can make the alteration to the TD5 instrument loom to make it work as per a ROW instrument loom. :i-m_so_happy:

He needs to add two pins though, the wire bringing the signal from the temp sender needs to go into pin 5 of the lower plug and then a wire needs to come out of pin 9 and go to the temp gauge.

On a standard Td5 loom these pins are non-existant, the only pins in that plug are for the fuel gauge (from sender into pin 3, to gauge on pin 7 and low fuel light on pin 1).

They appear very similar to ISO connectors used in the back of stereos. All I plan to do with my Td5 loom is add two more pins, and re-shuffle the wiring in the loom.

Pins/plugs from here: http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting..._Connectors.htm

Thats exactly my plan too, move the LGU from pin 8 on C1048 to pin 9 on C1061, then add a GU wire from C1048 to pin 5 on C1061, this will then give the wiring equivalent of the R.O.W instrument loom - as Edd has done. Just need the terminals to clip the 2 wires into the C1061 connector housing, and those look just the job! Thanks Retroanaconda :i-m_so_happy:

On a standard Td5 loom these pins are non-existant, the only pins in that plug are for the fuel gauge (from sender into pin 3, to gauge on pin 7 and low fuel light on pin 1).

Yep, so with the addition of the 2 extra wires to the lower speedo plug (C1061) it should effectively turn the TD5 instrument loom into a 'Rest Of World' instrument loom like Western has. I might add some extra wire length to my fuel and temp gauges though, to allow me to move them in the binnacle and fit a tacho next to the speedo. :D

there's enough wire within the Td5 loom to allow moving of the fuel & temp gauges, I've done the same so my rev counter sits by the speedo, then temp gauge & fuel on far right.

Excellent! Time to start unpicking loom tape then! :D

help

everything works as it should but the speedo is well out at 55-60 the speedo says i am doing 120 what have i done wrong?

which speedo gear have you got fitted & what size tyres?

if on 235 or 7.50 tyres you need the 110 blue gear FRC3310 in the transfer box.

help

everything works as it should but the speedo is well out at 55-60 the speedo says i am doing 120 what have i done wrong?

which speedo gear have you got fitted & what size tyres?

if on 235 or 7.50 tyres you need the 110 blue gear FRC3310 in the transfer box.

surely even with the wrong speedo pinion ie 205 one with 235 tyres fitted or even 35" tyres you wouldn't get a 100% error

sounds more like the transducer is over reading and their is a fault with it.

They appear very similar to ISO connectors used in the back of stereos. All I plan to do with my Td5 loom is add two more pins, and re-shuffle the wiring in the loom.

Pins/plugs from here: http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting..._Connectors.htm

I've found these terminals too, it appears the cable crimp can be in two orientations - these may affect how or if the terminal will latch into the connector (via the yellow plug/clip in the side of the connector). See the female terminal section:

Vehicle Wiring Products

There's a choice of 3 by the looks of things: 3-7210/3-7211, 3-2050 and 3-8050.

Anyone hazard a guess at which might be best.....? :unsure:

this is the second one i ve had from lr series the first was broken so sent back

I ordered the OEM version from LR series. It has all the hallmarks of a Britpart item so I sent it back and ordered the genuine part from them, only about £3 more than the OEM one.

I've had it all connected on the bench and it seems to work OK, although I can't verify the MPH accuracy yet.

My old speedo read spot on. Hopefully the new one will too. I have the green drive gear with 265 tyres.

How do you get the old gear out as i need to do this but the gear seems to be in there solid.

remove the 10mm hex head bolt & U clamp, pull the speedo cable out or transducer whichever is fitted, get a large flat blade screwdriver or lever/prybar & get it under the edge of the large circule housing the speedo cable was sat on, prise the edge up & lever the housing out, if the gear doesn't come out with it, just use a rotating motion to unmesh it from the gear inside & pull out, refitting is 'the reverse of the removal process' :lol: