2.25 PETROL ENGINED 109 TO THE ALPS???

Stroppy Cow

IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A 109 2.25 PETROL EX MILI....................WAS GOING TO BE BUYING A DEFENDER BUT FELL FOR THIS.....TROUBLE IS I WAS DUE TO BE GOING TO THE ALPS IN THE DEFENDER WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN NO PROBLEM.......HAVING NEVER OWNED A 109 2.25 PETROL IMA LITTLE NERVOUS TAKING HER.......AM I JUST BEING PARANOID,,,,ANYONE DRIVEN ONE THAT FAR ON HERE BEFORE................. :o

caps_lock.jpg

Many series vehicles have been round the clock a few times nowadays, so yes, plenty of people have driven them that far, including up the Alps, what are you exactly worried about?

suppose its the fact i know nothing off the 2.25 petrol engine/fuel consumption/how they act at altitude with the lack off air/and how they cope with hours off going up and up and up......

all the other years ive been going ive always gone with a group and with a tdi.......

I have friends organizing trips/tours to the Alps every year and they all drive old Series...

;)

As far as the truck is in good order you shouldn't have nothing to worry about.

Is it a SII or III?

Exactly.

You should reckon on maybe 13-15mpg in the Alps, maybe nudging 18-20 if you are sensible on the Autoroutes on the way down.

I have friends organizing trips/tours to the Alps every year and they all drive old Series...

;)

Is it a SII or III?

hi michele......i know M and M me and you have met and we share the same hair cut.....infact i carried your 90s roof to gran bosco for you on my 110 one year....we also met stephan from swiss........

(stuart and lisa)

I just recalled they had some trouble last year with theirs and it didnt run for almost a week?????

was hopeing to go and meet the german down their end off augustish???

ohh and shes a series 3 justy had a new gearbox and reconed engine and shes only got 50,000kms on the clock...with twin tanks.....

WHOUPS! :blush:

:lol: It's a small word uh?

I had a feeling...

Good to hear from you and again thanks for the courier service!!!

As far as I know we'll meet towards the end of July??? in Susa and Mike from Germany will probably have some spare days and will come to visit me in Emilia after Susa!

Are you going to come again then??

:)

Once went in a heavily loaded 109 2.25 petrol to India via the Alps, the Anatolian plateau, the Afghan plateau, the Khyber pass and the 13,000ft Rohtang Pass - most of which was done with 5 people, a roof rack and a loaded trailer. Sure it was slow, and it broke down a lot, but it got there and back - about 15,000 miles with detours :)

The only 'series' related problems (ie those which would probably not have happened in a Defender) were that we set the front hubs on fire going down an alpine pass, and we had a broken spring in Yugoslavia.

IMHO the 109 Series petrol is a truly Great Vehicle which is fully capable of doing anything you want (except go fast) and I am sure that you will love it once you are used to it's 'charisma' ;)

One thing - on this trip... Take photos. A LOT of them :)

WHOUPS! :blush:

:lol: It's a small word uh?

I had a feeling...

Good to hear from you and again thanks for the courier service!!!

As far as I know we'll meet towards the end of July??? in Susa and Mike from Germany will probably have some spare days and will come to visit me in Emilia after Susa!

Are you going to come again then??

:)

Ive been over every year since but the last two times on a different path to m and m and gm.....not sure on the dates yet????infact did i see you briefly last year i was in my 110 camel and my sis in the 90....met the tombraider club at gran bosco before i headed off???? Still not sure on dates for this year??

Once went in a heavily loaded 109 2.25 petrol to India via the Alps, the Anatolian plateau, the Afghan plateau, the Khyber pass and the 13,000ft Rohtang Pass - most of which was done with 5 people, a roof rack and a loaded trailer. Sure it was slow, and it broke down a lot, but it got there and back - about 15,000 miles with detours :)

The only 'series' related problems (ie those which would probably not have happened in a Defender) were that we set the front hubs on fire going down an alpine pass, and we had a broken spring in Yugoslavia.

IMHO the 109 Series petrol is a truly Great Vehicle which is fully capable of doing anything you want (except go fast) and I am sure that you will love it once you are used to it's 'charisma' ;)

One thing - on this trip... Take photos. A LOT of them :)

Thats a hell off a trip...puts mine to shame.........must admit ama bit worried about fading brakes....was bad enough in a 110 with disks on the front......had those catch on fire a few times ,,then braking was like being on ice....

Maybe i just need a crash course on overhauling a 2.25 petrol before i go i.e.carbs and dizzys and things......i am use to a diesel starting running then stopping.....although one year on a track near briancon in france it got so cold the diesel struggled to start... :o

Once took an old 109 to the Alps with 9 hefty cavers and a full lentgh roofrack packed full of expedition kit. It leaked like a seive so you had to wear a jacket inside it. It used a gallon of oil in each direction, did about 15 mpg and had a top speed of 50 mph downhill! But it got there and back OK. Also took a 109 Stage 1 V8 to North Africa via the Alps and had no end of fun fixing it along the way. Oh and that was giving about 8-12 mpg!

Once took an old 109 to the Alps with 9 hefty cavers and a full lentgh roofrack packed full of expedition kit. It leaked like a seive so you had to wear a jacket inside it. It used a gallon of oil in each direction, did about 15 mpg and had a top speed of 50 mph downhill! But it got there and back OK. Also took a 109 Stage 1 V8 to North Africa via the Alps and had no end of fun fixing it along the way. Oh and that was giving about 8-12 mpg!

Thanks orgasmic...you inspire me with confidence :D

(...) last year i was in my 110 camel and my sis in the 90....met the tombraider club at gran bosco before i headed off????

I didn't see any Camel 110!

I would have noticed it

:D

But yeah, I arrived just after the TR meeting...I only saw Julian for an instant...

Hopefully we'll meet again then!