Disco won't shift.

mskierki

Hello, first post here. I have had my Discovery for eight months now and have been able to get a ton of help off this site. But now I have an issue and I can't diagnose the problem using the search feature.

Yesterday I was driving home and shifted from second to third. I could not get the shift lever to go into third, the same with fourth. The shift lever did go into fifth and I was able to limp home by going first to fifth.

When the truck is off the I cannot shift into gear normally. If I rock the vehicle back and forth the transmission will fall into gear.

When the engine is on and the transfer case is in neutral I can force it into gear by letting up slightly on the clutch. It really requires some manhandling to get it into gear.

As far as I know it is the original drive train. The truck is a 1996 NAS Discovery I, 142k mi. Any suggestions?

Hello, first post here. I have had my Discovery for eight months now and have been able to get a ton of help off this site. But now I have an issue and I can't diagnose the problem using the search feature.

Yesterday I was driving home and shifted from second to third. I could not get the shift lever to go into third, the same with fourth. The shift lever did go into fifth and I was able to limp home by going first to fifth.

When the truck is off the I cannot shift into gear normally. If I rock the vehicle back and forth the transmission will fall into gear.

When the engine is on and the transfer case is in neutral I can force it into gear by letting up slightly on the clutch. It really requires some manhandling to get it into gear.

As far as I know it is the original drive train. The truck is a 1996 NAS Discovery I, 142k mi. Any suggestions?

take the gear lever gaitor off then remove the rubber dirt cover by either removing self tappers or rivets under there is a small plate bent at 90degrees with a slot in it these some times break and jam the lever. hope this helps

take the gear lever gaitor off then remove the rubber dirt cover by either removing self tappers or rivets under there is a small plate bent at 90degrees with a slot in it these some times break and jam the lever. hope this helps

Ok, I'll take a look at it this weekend. Is there anything else I should take a look at while I have the center console out?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got around to taking the center console out earlier today. My girlfriend's car was overheating and required my attention last weekend.

It wasn't the bias springs they look to be ok. Since I had gone so far I went ahead and pulled the gear change housing. I am still having trouble getting things to move around. I can get into reverse.

I drained the fluid just to see if there was anything obvious in there. This is what the drain plug looked like:

dsc05435a.th.jpg

I had replaced the transmission fluid a month and a half ago and the drain magnet looked to be similar.

However there were some larger pieces of metal stuck to the magnet that I didn't see last time I drained the fluid:

dsc05442s.th.jpg

At this point I am not sure what to look at next. Maybe it is time to think about a trans rebuild.

Also, I remember seeing a thread with some tricks for reinstalling the bias springs but I can't locate it. Does anyone know what the link is?