REAR TAILGATE

enduro1972uk

My wifes 2004 HSE TD4 Freelander arrived back home full of shopping only to find that the tailgate wont open and the window wont drop to allow it to open neither.

The window will not drop from inside neither using the up/down button.

After about 1/2 hour trying, the door released but the window did not drop.

Before hand the door opener lever was not making a noise but does now when pulled but still no movement in the window.

I now have the door closed but the window is on the outside of the top sealing strip.

It will lock but the horn beeps to say that one of the doors is still open.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how, why etc.....

Is this a common fault & can it be easily repaired?

Hi,

Might be a common fault as my 96 2.0 tdi is doing the same. I recently replaced the whole tailgate handle as the old ones retaining bolts pulled out from the plastic. The handle was off during a rain shower bt worked fine for months. Fuses etc all checked so far but no joy. Haynes book of lies not helping much either. If I get any progress I will let you know. :(

This has happened twice on my 2000 5 door and I have had the door apart and checked the relays which all worked but the window still would not work.I understand that the ccu box behind the fusebox operates this circuit so I changed that as well but still no joy.But due to another problem I had to dissconnect the battery and when I reconnected it low and behold the window worked again.So I think the system just needed to be reset.Try it and see.

Ian

Hi,

Might be a common fault as my 96 2.0 tdi is doing the same. I recently replaced the whole tailgate handle as the old ones retaining bolts pulled out from the plastic. The handle was off during a rain shower bt worked fine for months. Fuses etc all checked so far but no joy. Haynes book of lies not helping much either. If I get any progress I will let you know. :(

Hi quick update,

the Freelander ended up in the garage, long story, basiclly won 1k euro worth of free work. The power cable that supplies the door runs alongside the offside inner wing. It was severed according to the mechanic, how, why or where I dont know until I look at the repair site but there is the update as promised. Maybe try with a multimeter to see if you have power at the door and fuse board end. You will need a helper though and tea, always helps!!! :blink: More when I get the Freelander back.