Trouble with Military loom

jericho

First off,let me say that I know nothing about vehicle wiring.

I bought a new (as in un-used) military Defender bulkhead loom from e-bay to rewire my off-roader(not military).

It came with a diagram and key photocopied from a document inscribed -

Army Equipment support publication - main circuit diagram (commercial) Jan 91 (Amdt 2)

Unfortunately,the loom does not match the diagram.

The diagram looks like a fairly standard civilian defender layout with the later 16 way blade type fuse holder.

My loom has no brown/blue/red connector for the main lighting switch,but rather,what looks a bit like a connection for the lucas 6 position military light switch.However,I have a military circuit diagram from this forum,and the colours do not match.

There are hardly any parts of the loom where the colours do match the correct defender military diagram.

gallery_1618_185_430722.jpg

I have taken the loom tape off to try and follow wires,and pluged a defender column switch set in where it looks like it should go,but I still cant make sense of it all - especially the lighting side of it.

The connector to a light control has 9 points,but the diagram shows 8.

The colours are UY NP UK N RB UB RY NY R, but the diagram shows R R U NW GP N RN GP

Without a reliable colour coding and diagram I do not have the ability to make sense of all this.

There are 10 relays in the loom,4 or 5 of which seam to be involved in the lighting.

My origional plan was to remove the wiring to/from the military lighting switch and replace it with wiring for a civilian main lighting switch (brown/blue/red) - and to remove all the surplus wiring to leave me with a very basic defender loom;

but after maybe 8 or 10 hours of scratching my head,I am starting to loose heart.

If anyone can help,please shout out.

Is this definitely a defender loom?Why cant I find the right diagram?Why are so many colours wrong?

Yours despondently, Jerry.

No,I'm affraid not.Thanks anyway.That looks similar to the one sent with the loom i.e a standard defender diagram.

My loom has no connection for the column mounted main light switch,but does have a connection for what looks like a military rotary light switch.

med_gallery_1618_185_88387.jpg

Can anyone confirm what this is?

Where would I buy a military light switch?I could always fit the loom intact.

Get yourself to one of the LR shows and pick up a standard defender loom for 20 quid and save yourself the hassle! (or put a wanted ad on here)

The standard military loom is almost identical to the civillian one. I swapped out my miltary loom for a standard one and it was a straight plug and play, even though I went for a later loom with blade fuse box. Only difference was the plug for the light switch.

I picked up some military heavy duty Defender springs at a bargain price last year - no idea what they're off but they don't come close to fitting a defender! You have probably got a loom for an ambulance or something.

Thanks everyone,I already have the above military diagram and the British standard wiring colours- my loom does not match either.Similar,but not close enough for me to understand it.

Many people have said that the connections are there on a defender military loom to plug in the civilian light switch - they are not present on mine,so I don't know what I have bought.

It may end up going in the bin,but I am not keen to fit a secondhand loom that I don't know the quality of,and a new one from Autosparks is nearly £300!

Studying it a bit closer, I'm still unsure. :huh:

It looks like it has the correct plugs for the pcb on the dash binnacle, the right stalk connectors, but the rest of the layout doesn't seem right.

Have you laid it out on the board exactly as the loom was wrapped?

I think the sections that terminate on the blue multiplugs are the bits you can ignore. With those out it looks a bit more correct.

Not sure about it being out of a 101 - I don't think they would have had blade fuses and those dash connectors?

if it's any further help, the wiring loom as pulled out of my 1986 ex mod 90 matched the wiring diagrams in haynes, and the later loom I got, probably from a '94ish model also follows the same colour coding and connector arrangements. later modifications consisted only of additions to the loom.

My loom has glass fuses not blades - I may have been unclear about that.

There is so much in the right place,that I am sure it was made for a defender - heater motor,wiper motor,stop switch,column switches (except main light switch),dash warning light panel ect.

But the colours are only roughly as they should be.

There are lots of minor differences from the diagrams e.g. the indicators should be left front and rear one colour,and right front and rear another colour,but this loom is both front one colour,and both rear another.

I am wondering if this is not an origional equipment part,but an after-market copy,and the manufacturer has been free and easy with the colours.Is there any other reason why the colour coding would vary from standard?

• 5 years later...