wobbly at speed

gwsrich

After 4 weeks of ownership (3.9 v8) took the old bus down the motorway today and anything after about 60 mph the disco becomes very wobbly, almost like a barge. I was swerving all over the place like the steering was doing the opposite of what i was wanting. kids were pi**ing them selves with laughter :lol: and the other half was screeming :o .

So anyone have any idea what i should be looking for when i have alook underneath in the morning? i do know that it had a new/reconditioned steering box in the passed year.

Many thanks in advance

RICH

If it comes and goes as speed increases it could just be wheel balancing, if it comes in and needs braking or slowing down severely it could be the steering damper but again there's a lot which can cause a good shimmy have a look for tiered bushes, worn shocks, wear in steering joints and swivel bush hub bearings. even something worn in the rear suspension can cause it and it can be a sod to find. have a good look around sure youl find it.

Hi Rich. Does it feel as though it was shaking itself apart suddenly with strong vibration and not really responding to the steering inputs when you hit sixty-ish?

My first D1 did that and I was lucky to cure it with a new steering damper. It even happened at speed if I hit a pothole. I was initially advised it was probably the shims in the front wheel hubs but I tried the cheap and easy fix first.

Good luck

Cheers

Rob

Have had a look underneath and nothing really seems to be amiss possibly needs a new trackrod end as the rubber has split but the joint still seems fine, will get this changed at the weekend, and then will see if it improves, if not then i'll change the steering damper.

i dont think its all that bad once you get control over swerving across the road, but the misses says the car oversteers one minute then seems to understeer at the next corner and the steering doesn't right it self

I will look over the rear next just in case it at the back

Rich

The only way the steering damper can be the cause in your case is that it might be stiff in one or more points along the travel. Disconnect it from one end and check it travels nicely from one end of the travel to the other and back without stiff or loose points.

You should check everything starting with wheel bearings, going through all track rod ends and all front axle bushes, play/stiffness in the steering box, loose steering box bolts to the chassis. If nothing comes up then turn to the rear axle (it might rear steer).

I remember when I got my Discovery it was going all over the place except where I wanted. Cause 1: loose nut on the track rod end on the Pitman arm. That was easy to spot. Cause 2: stupid tyres similar to insa turbo sahara which loved to stick with anything resembling a track along the road (it was like driving a train or a tram). Replaced with BFG and all sorted.

Have you checked the link between the steering colum and the steering box if the uj's are seized or stiff the steering will be lumpy and might not want to self correct,

Also get someone to wiggle the car from the front and rear corners to see if it all nice and tight or wobbling around, you might hear the problem screaming for you to stop, there will be a little movement but if should manly be in the tyres only.

My Disco did this when I first bought it. When loaded with family at 60 it did its own thing. Checked tyre pressures, inflated osr to correct pressure, problem gone. Only comes back if tyre pressures are quite different across axle and loaded.

Having read the advice on here just been out the front and given the wheels a shake,

If i hold the wheel at 12oclock and 6 oclock then do the same with my hands at 9 and 3 seems i have a little bit of movement in both front wheels and one of the rears. If i spin the wheels they are nice and smooth and very quiet.

So guess i need to adjust the bearings!!!!

Will do this as soon as i get a 52mm box spanner (ideas as where i can get one from tomorrow??)

many thanks for all the advice it is priceless

Rich

I have a 300 tdi disco as does my friend(which i drive quite a lot) They both have problems with steering over 60, to be honest I thought it was just a disco thing until reading this post!! Its like it just loses it's control and means i feel i have to really concentrate holding the wheel at this speed!! I know its not the wheel bearings as I have just had 4 new ones fitted!! please let me know when you find the answer!!! :)