Uneven wear on rear tires

I've bought a disc braked salisbury last year from a wreckyard to swop my drum bracked one on my 200tdi 110. It came from a 110 that wasa a write-off. The axled looked okay except for one of the trailing arm attachment points was torn. So I welded on a new one.

Since placing it I've done 20.000 km and now my rear tires are on the inside almost worn and on the outside still 50% (BF AT 285x75x16, 2900 kg 110). Never had this problem before and now I''ve reversed the tires on the rim to get te maximum out of them. But I'm looking for the cause.

Anyone ever heard of a bend salisbury? (it are not the rims, I've had these before and didn't have any problems) Or is a stubaxle bend?

Is there a way to check this? Measuring is possible but then it's not possible to find out if it is a stubaxle or the whole axle.... Is there a way to bend it back in shape? (i've got a 40 ton press.... <_< )

Any suggestions?

Regards Bowy

You could easily check the stub axle by removing it and then rolling it along the edge of a table or similar (do you have granite worktops in the kitchen? :)) and seeing if the mounting flange rotates true or wobbly.

IIRC SimonR bent his Salisbury axle on his old 110.

Chris

if yours is welded on, then the swap of parts can't be done.

Surely it can if you buy a couple of bolt-on caliper brackets for a few quid?

Not sure there'd be any point swapping internals unless the old one was really bad, just swap the brakes and have done.

got to find a set of caliper brackets first, I bought mine in July '99 from W.E Phillips Engineering, don't know if they are still in business or able to supply.

this is them - found via http://www.zettai.net/find/shropshire/car-...ries-and-parts/

W E Phillips Engineering

260 Preens Eddy, Telford, Shropshire, TF8 7JG

01952 882199

Hi.

I bought a crashed 110 which turned out to have a bent salisbury rear axle, there was 1 1/2" difference from the centres of the wheels, might be worth having a measure of wheel base side to side....

Cheers

Dave..

Salisbury axles can and do get bent. any axle if involved in a RTA is likely going to get bent. we have been sent axles in the past from breakers and they have often come from crash victims and are only any good for their internals.

Steve

Ye Gods wonder what could have caused that to happen?? :o

I've bought a disc braked salisbury last year from a wreckyard to swop my drum bracked one on my 200tdi 110. It came from a 110 that wasa a write-off. The axled looked okay except for one of the trailing arm attachment points was torn. So I welded on a new one.

Since placing it I've done 20.000 km and now my rear tires are on the inside almost worn and on the outside still 50% (BF AT 285x75x16, 2900 kg 110). Never had this problem before and now I''ve reversed the tires on the rim to get te maximum out of them. But I'm looking for the cause.

Anyone ever heard of a bend salisbury? (it are not the rims, I've had these before and didn't have any problems) Or is a stubaxle bend?

Is there a way to check this? Measuring is possible but then it's not possible to find out if it is a stubaxle or the whole axle.... Is there a way to bend it back in shape? (i've got a 40 ton press.... <_< )

Any suggestions?

Regards Bowy

Yep, they sure do bend!

My mother was in her 110 CSW a few years back and got hit by a Ford Sierra that was really motoring it. The Sierra hit the 110 down the drivers side and spun the 110 a good 90 degrees.

The insurance assessors wrote the car off - 2 bent axles (Salsbury rear), totally mangled steel wheels, A pillar moved back 2 inches (so bent bulkhead), B pillar moved back and folded the rear side door lots. The rear radius arm fixing also tore out of the chassis bracket. Basically the wheels and the protruding door hinges took most of the impact, I would say to have spun the car like that the back wheel took a bit hit, hence the bent Salsbury.

So they do bend!

Fortunately my mother and the Collies all got out of the car unharmed, albeit rather shaken. Having seen the other car I know she was a lot safer in the 110.

If you have seen some of the wrecks in an ABRO yard then you would see a lot of bent Salisburys it happens every time the parachutes fail to open when they chuck them out of planes !!

:blink: Better treat the truck nicely from now on!! Things can go fatally wrong... :o ( Me who thought they could stand the planet)

Salisbury axles can and do get bent. any axle if involved in a RTA is likely going to get bent. we have been sent axles in the past from breakers and they have often come from crash victims and are only any good for their internals.

Steve

Thx for all the input, guess I'm &@#% then with buying a second hand quite expensive axle that is bend. Is it possible to bend it back? (i've got a 200ton press :D)

Bowy