salisbury axle.. whats the point??

hi there, was just wondering what the point was in the salisbury axles on a 110?

i know its heavier duty than the standard axle, but range rovers had normal axles and they weighed more didn't they?

just wondered really..

CURLY

oh, i have loads of slack in my rear diff and shafts, and was going to put one of my many other rear axles on it instead, but they aren't salisburys.

maybe i wont bother! he he

thanks Chris

is there any way of takingh up the slack in the diff? theres a bit of back and forth play in the half shaft end plate things too.

i probably have about a 1/4 of a turn of slack on the prop shaft..

cheers,

CURLY

is there any way of takingh up the slack in the diff? theres a bit of back and forth play in the half shaft end plate things too.

i probably have about a 1/4 of a turn of slack on the prop shaft..

cheers,

CURLY

Wow! A quarter of a turn! And I was losing my sleep over some 30 degrees of slack... :(

hi there, was just wondering what the point was in the salisbury axles on a 110?

i know its heavier duty than the standard axle, but range rovers had normal axles and they weighed more didn't they?

just wondered really..

CURLY

and as of TD5 they all had rover rear axle's so confusing... :rolleyes:

From the 2002MY (so some time late 2001 IIRC) 110s had a beefed up version of the Rover rear axle. This came in the same time as the centre console dash and the one piece rear door. Earlier Td5 110s had a Salisbury axle as per older 110s.

Chris

From the 2002MY (so some time late 2001 IIRC) 110s had a beefed up version of the Rover rear axle. This came in the same time as the centre console dash and the one piece rear door. Earlier Td5 110s had a Salisbury axle as per older 110s.

Chris

I the later 110's had no sailsbury types at the back and dick brakes, I know that because I have one of these fitted on the rear on my 110. However all the internal parts are HD kam stuff.

Id be very surprised if it was Kam internals although I remember reading somwhere that some special order wolfs did have Kam internals so may be. Rear disk brakes were standard circa 1992 and most defenders were disk braked only earlier 90s, 110s etc were drum braked to Ka I think. Anything after that salisbury or otherwise were all disk braked. Anything after disk braked salisbury I assume is all 24 spline and so HD, as for fronts 10 spline shafts until 1992 or 1995 (it may be later possibly 300tdi) 1995 when they changed to weaker CV joints but went 24 spline diff centers Jai

I the later 110's had no sailsbury types at the back and dick brakes, I know that because I have one of these fitted on the rear on my 110. However all the internal parts are HD kam stuff.

Again, in English?

Chris

opps

Oh, and I fitted the KAM internals

so does anyone know, or is it even posible to take up the slack in the diff on a sailsbury axle then?

:rolleyes:

CURLY

"Thats not slack sir, they all do that"

I understand you can alter the preload settings by using shims etc but you will need a few special tools.