Waterpump...OE or Patterned?

allegedly

Hi guys, just a quickie to pick your brains.

Water pump went today, pulley wobbling about and threw off belt. Checked out Paddocks and they do both types. I read the Tech section on fitting and noted the possible probs with patterned parts.

Question. Is that the norm with that type of component? Used patterned on other stuff with no probs but if fit is paramount and they're notoriously a poor fit, OE sounds the sensible way to go.

Hate to sound like a cheapskate as the difference is only a tenner but......a tenner is a tenner, or a tube of Tiger mastic etc.

Any guidance welcome

Cheers

Rob

OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE,

OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE,

OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE, OE :P

Hi guys, just a quickie to pick your brains.

Water pump went today, pulley wobbling about and threw off belt. Checked out Paddocks and they do both types. I read the Tech section on fitting and noted the possible probs with patterned parts.

Question. Is that the norm with that type of component? Used patterned on other stuff with no probs but if fit is paramount and they're notoriously a poor fit, OE sounds the sensible way to go.

Hate to sound like a cheapskate as the difference is only a tenner but......a tenner is a tenner, or a tube of Tiger mastic etc.

Any guidance welcome

Cheers

Rob

Britpart water pumps are excellent if you enjoy changing them twice a week at least :ph34r:

Keith

He he. Thanks for the replies fellas and the grin! :P

I've sent a pm cipx2.

After a chat (!) with she who must be obeyed, I just got to get my bosses agreement to get tomorrow afternoon off to go to Lixtull down the road and get the parts after I ring to confirm they're in stock. If not, its the originals, on line, I reckon. Once I know who's the best bet. As she's my everyday drive, it's got to be done quick.

I want to replace the serp belt too and realised: am I the only bloke who doesn't know the VIN on his Disco? P reg, '96 and the part numbers are a tad confusing if you don't know.

Thanks for the input gents

In the immortal words

I'll be back

LR dealers might not be such a bad place to get gen parts - their "classic" range of parts are often surprisingly competitive, and stuff is usually on the shelf or there next day.

I had a Britpart water pump on my truck once - it was bolted to a dead Disco attached to my tow rope :ph34r:

Thanks fellas. Bit the bullet and got afternoon off to drive to Lix Toll in Killin, (over an hour but thats the price of living in the middle of nowhere!) and picked up the new water pump, gasket, the recommended P gasket and a new serp belt to boot.

Went out after dinner to do it and found I've lost my water pump spanner to remove the fan etc and no one I know has one so have to hope the local car bits shop has one tomorrow. None of my other spanners get anywhere near it.

Oh well, its daylight here until at least eleven ish so I thought I'd slacken off a few bits while I'm in here. Hoses and all the bolts I could reach and the fan cowling. What next?

I know, the plastic thermostat bleed screw, as recommended by diesel jim for refilling the collant. And, as Les in his Tech post, also said ,they often shear.

Oh the fun. I just looked at it and it sheared off. I can't tell you the pleasure I had getting the remains out and trying not to **** up the ally thread on the housing.

Took off the thermostat and stufffed a rag in to stop the debris ending up in the system so thought I'd check the therms operation.

Takes forever to open and then opens up about 3 mm. Is that right? Seems a bit small a gap to me but I'm happy to stand corrected.

So, after driving to get the parts I've now got to go online to source a plastic plug that'll cost a quid and pay five to get it sent!

The joys of Landy ownership.........

Rob

Don't buy a plastic plug, even genuine LR. Go to your local plumbing store and get two 1/2" bsp flanged metal blanking plugs (if they don't come with o-ring washers, buy them separately). Replace the one on the radiator as well.

I used the kind of plugs used on steel/aluminum radiators for home heating. They look like this: http://www.towelradiator.co.uk/ProdImages/blk_lrg.jpg

If you brought the water in which you tested the thermostat to a boil and it opened only 3mm then that's not good. I remember it opening a lot more.

When you'll put the thermostat back in (preferably a new genuine one) remember to put it with the tiny hole on the edge in the most upward position (for the air to escape when bleeding).

I used the chisel approch when i did the pump on the V8 last week. Seemed to work well.

The pump i fitted was from paddocks but wasnt a britpart blue box item, it was just in a plain brown box. It also had the "G" suffix which usually implies OEM or Genuine. Just have to see how it goes.

The stat, alt/fan belts, and the clutch parts i fitted are all britpart. Just need to see how long they will last! :D