How do I replace rear diff mounts?

Major Sky

Hi all

I recently replaced a leaking master/slave cylinder set on my '99 freelander 1.8.

Being a complete novice with the vehicle this was only made possible due to this excellent forum and in particualr a 10 step guide from 'Orange' that I found. Thanks for that mate.

Looking at other issues it appears that I need to replace my rear diff mounts as there are one or two bangs coming particualrly when I change from reverse to first gear.

I wondered if anyone could help me with an idiot guide to changing these????

Thanks

If the diff mounts are worn, then it'll be obvious. It's usually the one closest to the diff nose that fails, so you may find the other two are still fine.

You don't need to do most of the work in that thread - the mounts can be replaced fairly easily by just unbolting them (one at a time), and fitting the new one. Diff nose mount is awkward, but still replaceable with the diff in place - just unbolt it and replace. The diff will drop a small amount, but it's easy to move it about.

Les.

It’s a great guide but you don't need to remove the diff completely or remove the drive shafts to change the bushes

just jack up the back of the car or reveres it on the ramps (ramps are easier) and simply remove the bushes one at a time taking car not to let it drop out but don't fully tighten them until all three are back in place then fully tighten them up.

It is fiddly but very simple.

Should take about an hour or so depending on how many cuts of tea you get through