8274 winch mount dimensions

does anybody have a drawing of what the dimensions should be of the winch mount for an 8274 ie the hole centres, spacings including the size and location of the slot for the winch rope?

my winch isnt with me so I cant measure it but I need to fabricate a decent mount to fit to my bumper to replace the low level one I currently have.

many thanks

Bolt patern is standard 254mm x 114mm the slot is 215 x 50 and wants to be central with botom bolt, ie, 25mm each side, how you offset it depends on your mount but the pic that jay has posted should have enough info on to work this out,

I used to leave 40mm under winch for space and never had no problems as the front plate will foul first,

If you are making your mount use 8mm plate minimum or if you are only using thiner beef it up as much as you can becouse the winch will try to flex the plate,

Carl.

6mm will bend big time unless you design a lot of strength into your mount - the issue is the size of the mounting face and the lack of bracing on the winch itself. Put it this way, my ARB bumper (5mm, lots of folds and bracing) twisted after I removed the fairlead guard (which stiffened up the front of the mounting plate).

sorry if this is a bit OT. but can an 8274 be mounted with the bottom forward, a sort of laid back position? so in effect the height, becomes the depth? (does that make any sense??)

Oil could be a issue if on a angle like that constantly? imo

Oil could be a issue if on a angle like that constantly? imo

I think the issue will more be sealing as there is little or none at the freespool lever. You'd probably fill it with slightly more oil to prevent any oiling issues. Basically the standard fill when mounted vertically brings the level up to the drum seal - I think you'd probably want to maintain this level but you'll get more in with the winch laid flat. It might take some trial and error to get the right level but, if you fill above the seal height, it WILL leak. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any problems.

sorry if this is a bit OT. but can an 8274 be mounted with the bottom forward, a sort of laid back position? so in effect the height, becomes the depth? (does that make any sense??)

Not a good idea as the 8274 casing fixings are designed to work on compression and not shear. If mounted with fixings face down then the cast alumium housing is likely to break around the fixings.

Keep it upright thats the way is was designed! :)

Tony

You could weld new mounts onto the base and turn the endplate through 90 degrees. Otherwise mount vertically and cut the floor - if you're thinking about an 8274 in the back the vehicle will be reasonably serious so loosing a little floor space is probably something you can live with. Have a look at some of the old photos of Ced's truck when it was a hardtop.