Sign in to follow this  
dirtbox

Front wiper motor removal

Hi all.

Had a good search through the archive and cant find anywhere the easy way to remove the front wiper motor.

Need to swap mine for the 24V version as the 12V don't like running at 24V! Well i say that but they run about as fast as a normal car so that can't be good on a landrover! :lol:

Anyway, any advice is much appreciated as looking at it I'm not even sure which side the motor is on! (RHD)

Cheers,

Paul

Hi all.

Had a good search through the archive and cant find anywhere the easy way to remove the front wiper motor.

Need to swap mine for the 24V version as the 12V don't like running at 24V! Well i say that but they run about as fast as a normal car so that can't be good on a landrover! :lol:

Anyway, any advice is much appreciated as looking at it I'm not even sure which side the motor is on! (RHD)

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

You don't say what your car is but I'm assuming they're all pretty similar, may not be strictly true of course.

On my 92 Defender the motor is sited on the left hand side of the dash, behind the lower outermost part. It's fairly easy to get to.

There are a couple of vertical screws accessed one through the plastic trim which runs across the top of the lower part of the dash. The other one is situated at the side of the dash by the grab handle which the passenger uses for climbing in to the car. If you then look at the underside and side of the lower part of the outer part of the dash, there are 3 self tapping screws which retain the outer section of the dash. Remove those screws and the section of dash needs to move slightly sideways, towards the outside of the car because there are one or 2 dowels which locate it to the centre part of the dash.

If you pull this panel off you will see the motor behind it.

I could post a couple of photo's up showing the dash and fixing screws if you cannot follow my written explanation. It's pretty easy and straightforward to be honest.

HTH.

Mark.

1.remove the black oval LR badge at the far left end of dash [this badge faces the door]

2. remove the screw under this badge, remove the screw at the bottom of the grab handle

3. ease the handle slightly upwards & outwards to remove it

4. remove the lower left corner end of dash, there should be 3 screws 2 along the bottom edge & 1 on the side nearest the door

5. ease the corner part away from the dash

6. the U channel around the wiper motor body may fall out, if not remove it

7. now your looking at the wiper motor

8. remove the wiper arms/blades

9. remove the clamp & it's screw to release the motor body

10. undo the big nut at the end of the drive cable tube

11. have a old rag ready at the cable tube end

12. remove the electrical plug from the motor socket

13. pull the motor & drive cable away from the dash/vehicle -- now you need the rag to catch the greasy drive cable

14. find a clean place to set the motor/cable onto

job done

just reverse the order to refit :D

I could post a couple of photo's up showing the dash and fixing screws if you cannot follow my written explanation. It's pretty easy and straightforward to be honest.

HTH.

Mark.

Here are the photo's of my dash. I've indicated which screws to remove in order to remove the panel to gain access to the wiper motor. Hope this helps.

This is the view from above showing the 2 vertical screws.

DashTopView-1.jpg

The view from below, again 2 screws.

DashUnderside-1.jpg

Finally the view from the side showing the single screw.

DashOutside-1.jpg

Hope yours isn't too different from this.

Mark

you forgot the screw under the LR badge on the left end of the grab handle.

all RHD 90/110 upto to the new style dash models are the same for the wiper motor

you forgot the screw under the LR badge on the left end of the grab handle.

all RHD 90/110 upto to the new style dash models are the same for the wiper motor

That'll be because when I did mine I didn't take it out, :ph34r: .

No wonder I struggled, :blink:

Mark.

That'll be because when I did mine I didn't take it out, :ph34r: .

No wonder I struggled, :blink:

Mark.

I see, lot easier with it removed.

Thank you for the really helpful replies everyone!

If I'm not too hung over tomorrow, I'l give it a go..

Cheers,

Paul

wiat till your sober, don't want to drop any small screws or inadvertently give yourself an electric shock.