HOT 200tdi!

I popped a defender 200tdi into my 90 a few months back. have already blown 1 head gasket. had i correctly re-con'd and refitted it. have been suffering some time with differing temperature issues as well as already on-going electrical problems. i believe the viscous fan unit may need replacing and the D.C voltage regulator may also need replacing. With electrical issues giving hot readings and possibly dodge' fan etc you may be able to see why i'm having problems rectifying the scenario. (and i've just about had enough!!) The gauge itself currently reaches the top of the white and wont get any higher (possible sensor fault?). The engine does get very hot but its hard to tell what TOO hot and whats not. Bled the system, replace the thermostat (with a few probs).

Any hints, experience, water flow diagrams and advice would be much appreciated.

Sam

What kind of state is the rad in? As they get older they can become blocked and cause overheating issues. Sender / gauge electrical issues can be avoided by fitting a TIM capillary gauge (about £20) - this also gives you a meaningful reading in degrees c, rather than 'just in the white bit'.

I popped a defender 200tdi into my 90 a few months back. have already blown 1 head gasket. had i correctly re-con'd and refitted it. have been suffering some time with differing temperature issues as well as already on-going electrical problems. i believe the viscous fan unit may need replacing and the D.C voltage regulator may also need replacing. With electrical issues giving hot readings and possibly dodge' fan etc you may be able to see why i'm having problems rectifying the scenario. (and i've just about had enough!!) The gauge itself currently reaches the top of the white and wont get any higher (possible sensor fault?). The engine does get very hot but its hard to tell what TOO hot and whats not. Bled the system, replace the thermostat (with a few probs).

Any hints, experience, water flow diagrams and advice would be much appreciated.

Sam

Was the 200Tdi out of a Discovery? If so did you change the water temperature sender? Do a search on here, I know Ralph (Western) has posted the necessary parts required before, you should find the relevant part numbers with a search.

Incidentally, the fan is rarely needed in our climate, provided there are no underlying engine/cooling problems. You would probably only need a fan in very high temperatures or if you were towing and working the car hard over prolonged periods.

HTH.

Mark.

Was the 200Tdi out of a Discovery? If so did you change the water temperature sender? Do a search on here, I know Ralph (Western) has posted the necessary parts required before, you should find the relevant part numbers with a search.

Incidentally, the fan is rarely needed in our climate, provided there are no underlying engine/cooling problems. You would probably only need a fan in very high temperatures or if you were towing and working the car hard over prolonged periods.

HTH.

Mark.

Sorry, just re-read your post and noticed you said it was a Defender motor, bang goes my theory about the incorrect sender then. :unsure: Still worth checking it's not faulty though.

As Dave said, the rads are notorious for the fins rotting out between the tubes, this gives the exact symptoms you mention, I had the same problem with mine.

Here's a photo of how mine looked.

Picture.jpg

It's not always noticeable from the front of the rad and the fan cowl often obscures the rear.

Regards,

Well the first step has got to be working out what's actually the problem.

How are you deciding the engine is getting too hot? If the gauge goes up and stops at "normal" then that seems, erm, normal - the stat will open & close and keep the thing at normal temp. Is it overheating, spitting water out, losing coolant, etc.?

If the gauge is faulty, it can only be so many things (sender, gauge, wiring in between) so either sort that or put an aftermarket gauge somewhere if only for temporary testing. Now you should know what temperature the engine is actually reaching.

A non-working fan should not be a problem on a TDi unles it's working its nuts off, they are overcooled and quite a few people run them with no fan.

If it is actually getting hot, check the radiator - they can look clean and fine from the front but be manky, clogged up and missing most of their fins on the back. You'll likely need to remove the cowling to have a proper look.