200tdi into a range rover

boy

hello all can anyone help one of my friends is looking into putting

a 200tdi disco engine in to his range rover and asked me if i

could find out any info about the conversion!!

so can anyone point me in the right directions!!

:P:P

dave

What he needs is the complete engine, gearbox, rads and intercooler from the Disco, cut the engine mounts off the Disco. Put it all in the RR after putting in a clutch pedal !!

Mine has a 200tdi with a manual box from a Disco, easy conversion works well, but no so good latched to an auto, as all the shift points for the V8 won't suit the diesel.

Hope you don't mind me elaborating on the original question a little save me opening a new thread -

I'm also planning the same conversion, and the plan is to pluck out the LT95 and V8 and drop in a R380 and TDI.

I take it regarding the gearbox conversion that this is fairly common, and there are no major hurdles to over come - I've gleaned that the gearbox tunnel may need altering slightly, any info here would be real useful.

When People have fitted the disco engine mounts for the TDI, is it best to trial fit the engine onto the gearbox on a jack/hoist to align and mark the mountings on the chassis, take it out, weld, put engine back in - or is there a simpler way :rolleyes: (has anyone worked out a precise measurement that works?)

ta

Hope you don't mind me elaborating on the original question a little save me opening a new thread -

I'm also planning the same conversion, and the plan is to pluck out the LT95 and V8 and drop in a R380 and TDI.

I take it regarding the gearbox conversion that this is fairly common, and there are no major hurdles to over come - I've gleaned that the gearbox tunnel may need altering slightly, any info here would be real useful.

When People have fitted the disco engine mounts for the TDI, is it best to trial fit the engine onto the gearbox on a jack/hoist to align and mark the mountings on the chassis, take it out, weld, put engine back in - or is there a simpler way :rolleyes: (has anyone worked out a precise measurement that works?)

ta

My old RR ran a mighty Nissan 6 pot diesel mated to the LT95 so my conversion was relatively easy. I took out the engine and box, rad etc engine mounts cut off. Took the floor out being an early one that was easy as it unbolts. So lots of clear space, we heaved the tdi and gearbox in onto the existing gearbox mounts. Suspended the engine from the crane, attached the engine mounts, cut off the old RR it came out of marked up where they should go, tacked them in. Then removed the engine and box. Welded the mounts in refixed the negine and gearbox. Very easy, I used the tdi radiator out of a Disco with the intercooler, slight adjustment to top and bottom mounts. Replumbed the rads connected the fuel lines using a LR fuel filter. All works well, only issue is getting the rocker cover off as it is tight on the bulkhead. I just dropped the ngine off the mounts and adjusted tappets, then lifted engine back up. Exhaust is Disco 200tdi.

Inside we cut the top off the LT77 gearbox tunnel and grafted it onto the old LT95 tunnel, it works even though it's a bit scruffy, but the rest of it is like that !

Couple of pics attached

post-2807-1247073977_thumb.jpg

post-2807-1247074051_thumb.jpg