........and then she blew me a rasberry

Mike the Bike

Spent last Sunday cleaning out the inlet manaifold of the Td4 and reassembled torquing all screws correctly.

Just tanked it down the A3 to work , torquey and smoth up to 3 k revs then gets loud and rough over 3k rpm.

Arrived at work and when I switched off FRAN the Freelander blew me a rasberry, okay a light buzzing sound that slowly disappears, as if pressure (or a vacuum) is being equalised.

Could this be the cranckase pressure valve working correctly?

Came from the right hand side of the engine (viewed from front) near vacuum reservoir. EGR is deactivated via plugged blue vaccum hose and crankcase breather cleaned out with white spirit along with PCV about 3k miles ago.

Ideas anyone...........?

Mike

This happens every time on my Td4, it's quite a strong sound on mine. I asked some folks and they said it was something in the oil system spinning down.

I doubt it's the 'correct' working of the crankcase valve, because mine hasn't been cleaned out, probably ever. That's a new thing I've just learned about and will look at it this week.

You mention cleaning the crankcase breather AND the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation), I thought these were the same thing? Or are they separate parts contained within that same asembly?

This happens every time on my Td4, it's quite a strong sound on mine. I asked some folks and they said it was something in the oil system spinning down.

I doubt it's the 'correct' working of the crankcase valve, because mine hasn't been cleaned out, probably ever. That's a new thing I've just learned about and will look at it this week.

You mention cleaning the crankcase breather AND the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation), I thought these were the same thing? Or are they separate parts contained within that same asembly?

Correct, two components within the same assembly, interestingly had this happen about a year ago when i last ran the car with the EGR valve deactivated, also showed much white smoke but reactivating the EGR solved both problems.

White smoke issue i beleive was related to blocked PCV, now thats clean no smoke visible and engine noise reduced.

Cheers

Mike

Just incase you decide to attempt cleaning the PCV, I tried this just after Xmas, popped out the felt oil/ vaour separator and soacked it in white spirit over night and flushed thru next day. Cleaned the valve diaphram and reassembled.

She went like a dream the once refitted, sounded quieter, smooth at tick-over and the power between 2 and 3.5 k noticably improved.

In the last 2 months I've been posting here about variable performance issues, suspecting fuel pressure (sensor) and then found a vacuum pipe leak which made a big difference when sorted but everything was not well becasue at 3k rpm she got noisey and held back, well I just found my answer.

Found a thread here recommending the replacement of the LR spec PCV for one currently used by BMW when the M47 engine is installed in their 320d/ 520d saloons. Purchased one today and fitted 2 hrs ago,............magic............like a new engine. I can only conclude that my attempt at cleaning the felt filter was a limited success because within a few months she was misbehaving again. Also the good news is that the BMW part is cheaper and does not need further maintenance becasue there is no filter to clog, simply a couple of chambers. the science of which I've yet to understand. but this option will cost you less over a 24k stretch because you'll have had to change the LR filter twice (according to their latest service recommendation) @£26 a pop (uk prices). Looking foward to driving to work tommorrow for the first time in months.

The parts guy at BMW looked at UK stock movements for this part and revealed that across the UK, the company sold 600, yes thats 600 last MONTH, demonstrating that many other BMW owners are having the same perfomance problems with their 2 litre diesels. So save a few dollars and enjoy a better perfomnace with the latest spec PCV, forget cleaning iit - IMO.

Cheers

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi

Not sure how to get to my control panel to mail you directly.

Just confirmed funds are in the Paypal account and thought I'd ask one of my lads to check for you re postage to Perth from the UK.

Hold on to your hat,........for the actual package dimensions & assuming a weight of 300 --330 grams, delivery in 7 days will be £30.99 or within 42 days is £26.99. Need another £13 minimum at least if I do it all at cost.

What assumptions did you make for a £10 postage fee?

We got our costs form the Parcel Force Uk website.

Will await your instructions.

Mike

Just realised the other day - I don't get that buzzing noise anymore.

I plugged the EGR back in when I last messed about under the bonnet, so possibly the noise is linked to that...

Mike

Posted the BMW breather off to Oz yesterday afternoon on a 5-day "signed for" deal as agreed, so its probably sitting in a european airport currently :-)

Re your post - I can confirm that the buzzing noise does disappear when the EGR vaccum pipe was reconnected on mine also.

With the new breather fitted it does reappear from time to time in a milder form, and now I've replaced the EGR with a straight thru there's nothing I can do about it, but I'm not bothered. The two most recent mods have transformed her performance, ....so a samll price to pay, the odd fart for a fun drive......

Mike H

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this old post as the same thing is happening to me. I have recently replaced all of the rubber vacuum hoses and all was good, I even had a working turbo! Then the other weekend I had a long run up to Essex and back. When I stopped in Potters bar, I had this high pitched noise coming from around the vacuum reservoir. Initial diagnosis online was a split hose, but as they are only two weeks old, I didn't think this would be the problem. A Google search then brought up this post. I blanked off my EGR with blanking kit, and the short hose that would have been the actuator hose has been blocked off (the old one had previously just been pushed on to the blank bit that sticks out of the blanking kit). With this hose blocked off completely, will this cause the pressure problem?