English Parliament Budget Tomorrow

minivin

Seems hugely unfair to me, not to mention a classic case of "bandwagon" politics. My old 110 is a great workhorse, is 20 years old so isn't using resources in manufacture (cars use up more energy being made than in their lifetime of fuel consumption, on average), and I use it for relatively few miles per year. I have a limited mileage policy. Compare this to the BMW X5 (or similar) owner who does 30-40,000 miles per year, but will pay a similar level of road tax. Strikes me as just a little in-equitable.

Perhaps I should just cough up a million, get a peerage and then have my say in the "other place". Beats voting.

Guest diesel_jim

The whole thing is a pile of cr@p anyway.... on the radio they were saying "4x4s are going to be extra taxed because they are do dirty"

well, i though that all engines had to pass the MoT emmisions test? so why would a 2.5 diesel in a 4x4 be any more "dirty" than a 2.5 FX4 taxi? or a 2.5 vauxhall omega?

It's just w@@ker B Liar sucking up to the tree huggers and not being interested in anyone else. i bet if every illegal immigrant in this cr@ap country drove a 4x4, then suddenly they'd be totally PC.... it's just he's trying to please all the folk who will guarantee him a vote next year.

I just WISH we would have something like a tsunami or mega bad winter type thing where they would plead for 4x4 owners to help out... i'd tell them right where to stick it! :lol:

they should remove road tax and lump it into the fuel duty - more fuel = more tax . . . tht way everyone is equally taxed proportionally.

tax disc validation then gets moved over to an insurance / MOT disc.

i.e. when you apply for insurance, the insurance company look up the DVLA status of the MOT, and along with your certificate, they issue with a disc to display showing that the car is both insured and MOT'ed.

that way its bloody clear if the person is insured or not.

(obviously there are various situations of SORN etc, but the basic principle is what i mean )

Interestingly non of the tax experts or city analysts think he will go after larger engined cars. He didn't mention it in the pre budget report either.

I(and they) think he will go for the big business option. A far more popular option in your last budget before you become PM i would think.

The 4x4 thing appears to be tabloid scaremongering (again).

Guy

Guest diesel_jim

Slighty off topic, but i;m trying to find the Co2 emissions for a 300Tdi defender. anyone know?

I can find plenty for Td5's (which is 299g/km) but that doesn't really affect me as my Td5 is company paid! B) but my 90 is my own (and 300Tdi).

funnily enough, i've got to re-tax it as it runs out the end of the month, so i'll be hurrying to the post office ASAP before B Liars crony Mr Brown shafts us all yet again

God i hate this government!

There is no rating for a 300Tdi because it ceased production before the March 2001 deadline. It will not therefore come in for the "4x4 gas guzzling" tax. Only vehicles registered on or after 31 March 2001 will get caught. Hence it seems that an old 110 will be OK and the new X5 will get any higher tax rate relating to emissions. Hope this makes sense!

My TD5 was registered in 1999 so will also not cop for it. But is you have a TD5 registered on or after 31 March 2001 you will get caught....unless the rules are all changed of course!

If your truck was registered before the deadline you will be paying on the old cc related tax bands...which of course Mr Brown is free to change as well!

Fisha - tax those that travel at the pumps hey? and the alternative is? use public tpt? yeah right!!

i do a 150 mile day commute so pay a fair whack in fuel as it as, thats a good 3hrs a day in the car,

Using local tpt and the rail network, after getting the 15miles to the train station from home (by foot i guess/cycle - no buses available within 4miles and mnon at that time of evening or morning that run anyway.) to meet work start time i need to be there the night before to catch a train that allows a connection to be made the following mornign to get me in on time. so thats a night away from home on a platform and some 14hrs travel.

Or i could go the following morning, having got to the station and two train journeys later i can get in for 1130hrs then make the 6 mile trek (or get a bus so it works for this bit) to the office. Less than ideal and all that takes about 4hrs to do not including the to the station and station to the office bit

hence the commute and own car use.

My choice though i hear you say, yep i could sell up and move closer to work (it isint much to move house these days and stamp duty is a bargain!) but then i suppose my wife would have the opposite commute, or should we both change lifestyles to suit the taxman?

In the end the rail network won't support my journeys and far more expensive to use even if it did (even with railcard). so that means despite what road tax goes to or/and increases at the pumps choices are limited.

So a good proportion of what i earn goes to the taxman as it is, therefore incentive to work reduces. Anyone know what you get for being on the doll? (a sort of return on my investment - may be the way fwd)

Don't worry folks, there will be no increase in tax. :D

Gordy, as I like to call him, lives next door to me and I said to him last night before we went out bat spotting: "You increasa da tax, I smasha ya face", to which he replied "ok I won't". :rolleyes:

In days gone by we all used to work near to our homes. Nowadays, for some reason, people see the need to make long commutes to get to work and back. I guess that this is about making more money while still living in a cheap house/nice area? IMHO it is not sustainable though and I agree with the idea of charging road tax on a per/mile or fuel used basis. Needless to say, I do not make a long commute and I never intend to, I would HATE it! Under a fuel taxed system I would be rather better off as I travel fewer than avarage miles - although my LR is rather heavier on fuel than a car.

Chris

Guest diesel_jim
There is no rating for a 300Tdi because it ceased production before the March 2001 deadline. It will not therefore come in for the "4x4 gas guzzling" tax. Only vehicles registered on or after 31 March 2001 will get caught. Hence it seems that an old 110 will be OK and the new X5 will get any higher tax rate relating to emissions. Hope this makes sense!

My TD5 was registered in 1999 so will also not cop for it. But is you have a TD5 registered on or after 31 March 2001 you will get caught....unless the rules are all changed of course!

If your truck was registered before the deadline you will be paying on the old cc related tax bands...which of course Mr Brown is free to change as well!

/Homer voice/

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to the BBC site earlier today, it looks like anything over emissions of 250g/km will now attract a road tax of £200/year.

Nothing more than a money grabbing exercise while providing some 'green spin' as it will have precisely s*d all effect on the number of vehicles on the road, or sales of new ones

The top 1% IIRC. RRs and the like I suppose. If you have 60k for a RR I don't think that a few extra quid will make any odds.

Chris

yup, from what I've read previously, vehicles older then ten years aint listed for the carbon produced so the use of the likes of V8's in RRC's and Series et cetera should still come under the "cc" system as at present, shall hopefully see soon if they are putting that up <_<