300tdi wont start, smoke coming from near handbrake gaiter

Barna

Hi Everyone

First, sorry about my poor English

96’ 300tdi Disco random won’t start.

This is happens when the glow symbol off quickly (like less the 1 sec) after turn the key to position 2.

If this happens, the starter will not crack or crack hardly and very-very slowly while holding the key in the crack position and some smoke coming from near handbrake gaiter.

I don’t want to burn the cable so I’m holding the key only one or two sec. (hear some relays click)

After a tow or three times try the starter crack normally and engine running without any problem and not able to direct reproduce the starting problem again. (The glow working perfectly)

I dismantled the central console and not found the burned cable or connector.

What I did:

Spider unit bypassed.

Battery terminals, starter and chassis connections cleaned.

Checked the ground distributors for relays, both side under the dash.

A few months ago the starter (Bosch) checked. Brush was ok, solenoid greased

The problem is always connecting to glow control and starter control ant the same time.

I have no idea how can connects the crack problem with smoke generation near handbrake. If the starter is crack immediately no hot wire or smoke.

Checked the electronic diagram any my idea is that the faulty can be the Ignition switch, the theft alarm system ground distribution for starter relay or the starter relay.

Somebody had the same problem?

Do you have any idea what can be the problem?

Thanks,

Barna

Something similar happened to the wifes 90...from diagnosis it looks as though your Disco is earthing itself through your handbrake cable... check in the engine bay to make sure that your earthing braids are intact as this was the problem ours was having.

Hi Everyone

First, sorry about my poor English

96’ 300tdi Disco random won’t start.

This is happens when the glow symbol off quickly (like less the 1 sec) after turn the key to position 2.

If this happens, the starter will not crack or crack hardly and very-very slowly while holding the key in the crack position and some smoke coming from near handbrake gaiter.

I don’t want to burn the cable so I’m holding the key only one or two sec. (hear some relays click)

After a tow or three times try the starter crack normally and engine running without any problem and not able to direct reproduce the starting problem again. (The glow working perfectly)

I dismantled the central console and not found the burned cable or connector.

What I did:

Spider unit bypassed.

Battery terminals, starter and chassis connections cleaned.

Checked the ground distributors for relays, both side under the dash.

A few months ago the starter (Bosch) checked. Brush was ok, solenoid greased

The problem is always connecting to glow control and starter control ant the same time.

I have no idea how can connects the crack problem with smoke generation near handbrake. If the starter is crack immediately no hot wire or smoke.

Checked the electronic diagram any my idea is that the faulty can be the Ignition switch, the theft alarm system ground distribution for starter relay or the starter relay.

Somebody had the same problem?

Do you have any idea what can be the problem?

Thanks,

Barna

Yep wot he said ^^ handbrake cable is carrying a little more electricity than intended! Earth fault is the problem.

You'll also need a new handbrake cable as it will have burned the teflon coating off the cable core so it will jam up very quickly.

take a battery cable from the negative on the battery to the starter motor housing (use one of the mounting bolts). it should stop any bad earths.

ensure all electrical connections are very clean (bright and shiney clean) and then when theyre all bolted up cover the lot with grease to prevent.

I checked the braided earth strap. It looks old but no wear on it, but I'll crimp a new one from battery to starter.

I don't know how can connect the earth problem to glow control. The glow controll unit is good, and connects directly to the battery earth lead. So using a different earth point.

Strange, because if visible the quick glow (like less than one sec), the starter will not crank normally, but if the glowing normally, no problem with starter.

• 1 month later...

Crimped new lead between the chassis and the starter. I used 35mm2 cable for it

About the last 3-4 weeks I had no problem with start or crank, so it seems the braided earth strap was the problem.

Thanks a lot help!