Testbook/Rovacomlite

muddyplugger

Can 'Testbook' be run on a notebook?

I read Rovacomlite's website on their diagnostic system which shows it running on a notebook, but I can't understand what some of the 'extras' are such as basic hardware (I assume they mean a notebook). The leads for connection are cheap enough at £35, but if I can source a 'testbok' cd, I purchase a lead......am I up and running?? :huh:

All this info seems to be quite secret!

I don't know squat about Testbook, its too spendy for me, but I suspect if what you want to do is possible/easy, there would be as many testbooks kicking around in homes as there are RAVE/EPC installations ;)

Rovacom is a solution that uses the OBD2 connectors and cables, this then feeds into a propriatry comms box, before being interogated by any old laptop.

I suspect the rovacom cables are specific to Rovacom because of the comms box in the middle.

I'll know more later in the week when my Rovacom is delivered !!

My P38a has got EAS suspension problems, and I've always had the mentality of buy the tool, rather than pay the stealer.

The day has come where that mentality has cost me £800+ of computer junk !!

There are generic OBD2 connectors/systems available.

eg UK site I've just found

Or these people In the US

I should have one of the later systems later in the month too :ph34r:

Yes and no is probably the right answer :unsure:

The original Testbook was a sexy custom built thing, hinged touch-screen, with all the kit inside the computer and you just plugged in some cables and off you went. Not sure what Testbook 2 and Testbook 3 were.

As is the way of things (I think they call it progress :rolleyes: ) the T4 is now a standard Dell laptop bolted onto a box of junk which does the serial interfacey twiddly things (as you can tell I am an IT boffin....). Which is also apparently why it is called the T4 because I believe that Hewlett Packard (who built the original Testbook for Land Rover) own the "Testbook" trademark. Presumably they were less than impressed at not being asked to build the replacement and told LR to bog off when they asked to transfer the name!

So yes I think you could install the software on a standard laptop, but I suspect it would be F all use if you didn't have the (very expensive) bit that sits underneath the laptop and talks to the laptop through one orifice and the vehicle through another plus of course all the different leads (of which there are several).

I have not seen a Rovacom but I think their software is totally different and my understanding is that it also requires a bit of hardware (some sort of serial interface box thing), just that it is a lot less expensive than the Land Rover offering! I did look into it with the intention of getting the required bits to do my Discovery a year or so back but decided that as the Disco wasn't broken I couldn't be bothered..... the different bits required to do all the vehicle systems added up to a grand or so ISTR.

I think a T4 was running at about eight or nine grand a couple of years ago, anybody can buy them now, same as all the technical info is available online at www.landrovertechinfo.com you just need a credit card. One of the few useful things the EU has done is to open up access to all this stuff... but you still need £££££££££!

:( I thought it was too simple, as you say - we'd all have the system if it were cheap enough and that easy!

If Dell are now working with LR using the T4 then I think a call to my IT friend who works at Dell may be in order ;) , in the mean time I may look into the effectiveness of those Digimoto packages (UK OBD).

Now how many local Landrover owners do I know who want to buy into a syndicate for Diagnostic software? I may start a new LR club!! (membership might be a bit steep though!!!) :lol:

I don't think you'll get anything out of Dell as I expect the laptops are just bought in. The T4 system is made and sold by a company called Omitec, website is www.omitec.com but there doesn't seem to be anything about the T4 in the product range which is odd....

The bit of hardware in the Rovacom system is the server, which connects between the OBDII cable in your vehicle and the PC. All the software is installed on the server. Your Rovacom software on the PC is the display element, but also tells the server which licences you have bought and hence activates them (all done by codes, which change with every new licence bought). A neat systemn, for much less money than T4, and it does more too. PM me if you want more info.

I run a T4 system and i have to be honest, it's OK..........EEErrrrrrr..... :rolleyes:

That is if you like sytems that where designed by idiots, thta ain't ever worked on a car.

The Rovacom is very nice, was very impressed by the system i saw recently that was wireless (No more cables, Hurray)

But the only thing i found lacking in comparsion to T4 is the lack of a fault explorer option.

This is the one thing T$ does well :)

But i have to admit that i need a small portable system for our race car later this year, and i will probaly go for the Rovacom lite (Another sale Pongo :rolleyes: )

I hope this helps

Jim :)