Td5 or 2.8tgv international or 4.6v8

If you were going to build a standard 90 truck cab - all new parts. what engine from above would you put in and why?

If you were going to build a 90 buggy for offroading would you change your first answer?

I have absolutely no need for a Land Rover. but i cant live with out one. so.. i suppose i would only use it

for off roading, mostly in the UK. and prob in pay and play sites. so cant really decide what route to take.

Price is a big issue, so take everything into account.

i would only use it

for off roading, mostly in the UK. and prob in pay and play sites. so cant really decide what route to take.

I would buy an old Range Rover or Discovery then. If you must have a Defender, buy a used one with the trick bits already attached - that will save money on new bits.

Chris

If you were going to build a standard 90 truck cab - all new parts. what engine from above would you put in and why?

for road use a TD5 for flexibility with chipping, mpg, smoothness and quietness

If you were going to build a 90 buggy for offroading would you change your first answer?

TGV - stands the water better

Disco as GB says

There's no right answer, although if price is an issue I'd imagine the TGV is out. You can make the other two perform the same as each other within certain bounds so it really is just down to whether you prefer burbling or black smoke.

My personal preference is TD5, ive owned several 90's with older and newer engines and much prefer the TD5's over the others doesnt matter on the use for me. I decided to use a TD5 for my D-Lander too :)

As a toy, i'd go with a V8. Might need some work to waterproof it if you plan to get adventurous offroad (megasquirt perhaps?) but it will beat a derv hands down in every other way.

It will use more fuel, although a squirted V8 wont be as bad as some old snotty carbed thing, and if its only a weekend toy then it doesnt matter so much.

i think all 3 are good ideas, but due to my little knowledge of TGV's and the fact that they are the best part of £6000 new, i would leave that out. that leaves us with either the TD5 or V8, personally i prefer diesel but the TD5 hasnt got as much low down torque as i'd like it to. V8's cost more and have to be more waterproofed for wading, also i can use red diesel in mine so diesels cheaper. my choice would be a TD5 with an ECU chip, and a straight through exhaust, so it sounds more like a v8 with the ultra cool black smoke too. its a hard choice though.

hope ive helped.

mikey

td5 every time,

alot simpler than a v8 on mega squirt and much much better than a v8 with standard ignition dying everytime it sees water.

you can tune a td5 quite easily with a big intercooler and ECU map and i bet overall costs wouldnt be that much different between a healthy 4.6 with M'squirt and a tuned td5.

As for the low down torque thing someone else mentioned above - i bet there is virtually nothing in it between a v8 and tuned td5 across the whole rev range. The only area the V8 would win is instant throttle responce - and that only really becomes noticable on a manual. If its mated to a porridge box you dont get that responce anyway.

I don't see how an ECU controlled diesel is simpler than an ECU controlled petrol engine :unsure: especially if the V8 is running an open-source ECU.

FWIW I wouldn't bother with a 4.6, a 3.9 will be mucho cheaper and perfectly adequate for most things.

Still maintain there's so little in any of this that you may as well toss a coin.

I have absolutely no need for a Land Rover. but i cant live with out one. so.. i suppose i would only use it

I've got a 4.6v in 110 (B reg) chassis mot failure with an LPG conversion on. Make me an offer I need the space!