265/75/16's rubbing on radius arms..

rhydgte

I have some chunky bronco dirt devils fitted to my Disco on standard steel rims.

As you can guess they bind well into the radius arms even with the standard steering stops wound right out.

First thing I tried was to weld some nuts to the heads of the stops - but after a few days they'd fallen off.

I then bought some brand new bolts which are slightly longer than the standard ones, however they now miss the 'flat/indent' on the hub face and instead the bolt head pushes against the hub and caused them to bend!

I know I can buy offset wheels or wheel spacers but any other 'scraphead challenge' style solutions before I go spending big money!?

My next idea is to heat up some bolts and bend them slightly so the head will make contact with the indent on the hub, and still give me the clearance on the radius arms.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Cheers

try getting some centering washers to put on the wheel studs, allowing you to put the wheel on backwards, giving you much more offset. however this could be too much meaning you would have to cut your arches around. alternatively you could buy some 8 spokes or modular style wheels for around £20 per corner.

mikey

I had just the same problem. Screw in you longer bolts. Take the biggest hummer you have. Bend them so that head of bolt will "kiss" hub's corner, not surface.

Sorry for bad image quality but i think you'll get the idea.

post-8324-1247613560_thumb.jpg

I had just the same problem. Screw in you longer bolts. Take the biggest hummer you have. Bend them so that head of bolt will "kiss" hub's corner, not surface.

Sorry for bad image quality but i think you'll get the idea.

post-8324-1247613560_thumb.jpg

You can get a special stop that fits on under two of the axle flange bolts - I'm sure someone will supply the part number, but they give you an extra 20mm of steering lock stop bolt to play with. (Its a little angled thing with two holes :unsure: )