Green Lanes (West Sussex/Surrey/Hampshire

Does anyone have any ideas of any half decent green lanes/ byways in my area. Based around Horsham, don't mind treckin' around to find some nice lanes.

I've done some offroading but up for a challenge - anyone know of any meetings or local groups to join?

Cheers Dave

There are quite a few forum members local to you, hopefully they will be able to help you out with advice regarding local clubs and sites.

I doubt the will give you a list of "lanes" on here as we don't endorse the public listing of off road routes.

You can contact your local council highway department for advice on what's permitted.

Find a local club, tag along with their outings and learn the correct conduct to ensure no damage is done to the routes or the reputation of 4x4's.

Hope this helps.

John

Based around Horsham, don't mind treckin'

You could trek down to 'The Rising Sun' in Pondtail road, Horsham after about 9pm on a Wednesday evening where you will find some like minded drinkers - and some firemen usually. :)

Other than that there is a Pay and Play at Slindon next weekend, see here for details.

HTH

Chris

formerly of Horsham

Bugger all in Sussex I'm afraid, they were almost all lost. Plenty over in the Surrey Hills area, I won't give specifics on here but get yourself an OS map or two of the area and you'll soon find them. Some are TRO'd at the moment though, so be aware of that when planning.

As Chris says, Slindon is running on the 26th, very highly recommended and not too far away.

Hampshire is well into the patch of the Shire Land Rover Club, who run events around the South of the country fairly reguarly. Worth joining up. Think there's a Horsham club as well, but don't recall the name off hand.

Usually if you give notice people will be up for joining you on a laning day trip, although people tend to keep it to around 4 vehicles max to limit the impact. A general rule is, if you are getting stuck then the lane could do with a break to recover :)

Bugger all in Sussex I'm afraid, they were almost all lost. Plenty over in the Surrey Hills area, I won't give specifics on here but get yourself an OS map or two of the area and you'll soon find them. Some are TRO'd at the moment though, so be aware of that when planning.

As Chris says, Slindon is running on the 26th, very highly recommended and not too far away.

Hampshire is well into the patch of the Shire Land Rover Club, who run events around the South of the country fairly reguarly. Worth joining up. Think there's a Horsham club as well, but don't recall the name off hand.

Usually if you give notice people will be up for joining you on a laning day trip, although people tend to keep it to around 4 vehicles max to limit the impact. A general rule is, if you are getting stuck then the lane could do with a break to recover :)

Cheers man, on the OS Maps, what is the greenlanes/byways marked as...?

You could trek down to 'The Rising Sun' in Pondtail road, Horsham after about 9pm on a Wednesday evening where you will find some like minded drinkers - and some firemen usually. :)

Other than that there is a Pay and Play at Slindon next weekend, see here for details.

HTH

Chris

formerly of Horsham

Chris, whats the name of the Horsham 4x4 group?

The guys at the pub, do they meet every week reference offroadin or do they just know there stuff on places?

Does anyone have any ideas of any half decent green lanes/ byways in my area. Based around Horsham, don't mind treckin' around to find some nice lanes.

I've done some offroading but up for a challenge - anyone know of any meetings or local groups to join?

Cheers Dave

Dave

Happy to run one of my Hampshire safaris for a group of 3/4:

Safari

Let me know

Cheers

Rob

PS No charge...you just follow me around the countryside...liability is on you etc :unsure:

Dave

The key on OS maps will guide you, however make sure you check with the relevant highways department to verify if the routes detailed on the maps are still permitted and or are not subject to a TRO.

I strongly suggest that you find a 4x4 club to join so someone can show you the ropes.

As Chris is away at Billing, I can perhaps answer your question about the pub on wednesdays.

The guys that meet have a common interest in Land Rovers, they will be able to give you some advice about going off road and may know of local clubs they could recommend.

John

there's a few half decent green lanes in the cold harbour area near dorking.

a few of them might be under threat of being closed to 4x4's soon though, (if not already the b4stards)

i'm only in Southwater, so only a few miles away from Horsham.

what you drivin?

CURLY

• 1 month later...

Its a shame I missed this post until now, on Saturday 22nd August The Solent and District Land Rover Club did a green lane route that came out round the North of Petersfield and up around Bordon coming into West Sussex for a small part of the route, I dont think that would have been to far for you to travel, I believe they're heading up around the Devils Punch Bowl way in a few months time but there is nothing confirmed.

I agree with the previous posts telling you to get a couple of Ordnance Survey Maps and make sure you get the 1:25k Explorer series as it is updated more often and gives greater detail.