wiring diagram alternator

hi all, just done transferbox gearbox and engine conversion from 200tdi to my defender 90 td, alternator wiring different, on td got two thick brown wires one small brown wire, 200dti got one thick brown wire one small brown wire and one white wire which has a little black box on it which used to fit to 200tdi alternator, need wiring diagram to swap over, td has plug connector, 200tdi has O ring connectors can anyone help . :unsure: cheer's defender dinky

Two thick brown wires are the alternator output, which is the one tdi thick wire. there's a good argument for replacing these, especially if your td alternator was 45A and the new one is 65A. worth checking.

The thin brown wire is the warning light wire, it should have a yellow trace along it

The white wire is the alternator feed. IIRC it has a grey trace along it. If you don't have a rev counter remove it from the W terminal on the back of the alternator.

• 2 years later...

I'm just wiring a TD into a friends IIa and laying new cables from alternator to battery...this alternator has the 3-pin plug (2 large one small), the one small connection is for the charge light I know, but what about the two large spades? Can I use both connections back to battery?

Thanks guys, I'll run both as feeds I think.

One question, the plug will only cope with wires up to about Ø6mm, which is 70Amp according to VWP. Unfortunatly the label has worn off the alternator so I cant be certain what rating it is. To the best of my knowledge, and I've known the engine for a few years, its an original spec TD alternator. It seems to say 14V 23/55A on it, would that be right?

• 11 years later...