defender door tool?

I'm removing the doors off our defender but haven't got a tool that fits the bolts, which looks like a huge cross head screw, is there a special tool needed or is it just the biggest cross head screwdriver you can find?

and are the nuts on the back captive?

i really need to get a haynes manual, and soon! :rolleyes:

thanks

Might be a lot easier for you if you got a large Phillips screwdriver with a square shaft, and then put the correct size ring spanner on it to help you turn it.

You could spend the rest of your life trying to get them things loose. A spanner will help things along a little.

I'm removing the doors off our defender but haven't got a tool that fits the bolts, which looks like a huge cross head screw, is there a special tool needed or is it just the biggest cross head screwdriver you can find?

and are the nuts on the back captive?

i really need to get a haynes manual, and soon! :rolleyes:

thanks

if you plan on using the landy the same day make sure to have NEW captive nuts for the bulkhead section and NEW bolts at hand before removing the door, you will see why when u do yours, in the end i had to drill the head off my door bolts

IMHO the haynes manual is carp,

here is a guide from another landy site, at the end of the day we are all landy mad so informatiom from all forums is helpfull

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f41/front-do...oval-75931.html

Whenever I need to remove my doors I'll be replacing the bolts with stainless torx-head ones that can actually be undone again once done up :D

Why they used Phillips-head bolts, which are actually designed to slip out under high torque loadings, to hold the bloody doors on....is something I will never understand.

thanks everyone, looks like a trip into town tomorrow for a new tool(s?!) then! oh the wife will be overjoyed "MORE tools? you have bloody enough already etc etc...." :(

i've got a stainless bolt kit from Mudstuff so have nice shiny new bolts to go on, don't know if they have new captive ones though, not had them out of the bag yet, all the others were there though...

and i'd never take bits off a defender without having spare nuts and bolts! thats just asking for a headache!

thanks everyone, looks like a trip into town tomorrow for a new tool(s?!) then! oh the wife will be overjoyed "MORE tools? you have bloody enough already etc etc...." :(

i've got a stainless bolt kit from Mudstuff so have nice shiny new bolts to go on, don't know if they have new captive ones though, not had them out of the bag yet, all the others were there though...

and i'd never take bits off a defender without having spare nuts and bolts! thats just asking for a headache!

Yes, the Mudstuff bolt kits do have the J nuts included. well mine did :lol:

i bought a pozy-4 screwdriver bit from a local tool shop that fit like a glove.

all 8 of the screws undid with a bit of elbow grease, but looks like i was one of the lucky ones!

HTH

CURLY

And for everyones reference, the correct size bit is indeed Pozidrive 4, which can be had from screwfix for the sum of £3.23! fits in either a socket or a drill bit holder.

fits perfect and all but two bolts (which are currently soaking in WD) are off without a problem.

part number is: 85600

hope that helps you all! :)

post-16965-1247917212_thumb.jpg

Plus Gas is better than WD40 for rusty bolts.

My Mudstuff bolts are in the post to me, my bolts have been soaked in Plus Gas every couple of days for the last two months.

I have tried slightly undoing the bolts and most are wanting to undo ok, will keep soaking the others till they start to move easily before going for it.

I have the 8mm allen bolts to replace the hinge pins too.

Cheers

David

Three hours tonight and the Mud kit all fitted.

Bolts for each section were in their own marked bags with all the matching nuts and washers.

Everything fitted perfectly.

Really happy that it went so well.

Cheers

David

If you start soaking them in WD or Plusgas now, they might just come straight out when you want to fit the new doors! :lol:

I won't have any problem taking them out as I've already swapped the bulkhead/front hinge bolts for SS ones, all the others are easy with nuts on the inside.