Radiator plumbing

teedee88

Hello to everyone,

I am seeking advice to piping the radiator into a "series" with a V8 conversion. The vehicle when i bought it had a "defender" front, with a full width radiator and two small electric fans.

I now have fitted a short nose water pump that allows me to fit a series 2 front panel,and i have a "narrower" 3 core series rad to fit,if suitable!

Now I would like to know the most effective way of keeping things cool,as I belive that V8 can run hotter using series rads.

I intend to fit a large single electric fan within the front panel area, blowing through rad towards the engine.

All suggestions and advice gratefully received.

Many thanks,Teedee

Hello to everyone,

I am seeking advice to piping the radiator into a "series" with a V8 conversion. The vehicle when i bought it had a "defender" front, with a full width radiator and two small electric fans.

I now have fitted a short nose water pump that allows me to fit a series 2 front panel,and i have a "narrower" 3 core series rad to fit,if suitable!

Now I would like to know the most effective way of keeping things cool,as I belive that V8 can run hotter using series rads.

I intend to fit a large single electric fan within the front panel area, blowing through rad towards the engine.

All suggestions and advice gratefully received.

Many thanks,Teedee

If you can, buy the 4-core Series rad (tropical climate) as this wil increase cooling/coolant capacity. You will have to modify the rad by soldering small outlet, 6-8 mm to connect the inlet manifold. (this is the blue :rolleyes: thin hose above the top blue :rolleyes: radiator hose)

The hoses are a bit of a headache. Generally what is done is to use a joiner with the v8 engine hose to join the series radiator hoses; they ofcourse are differnet diameter but close enough to stretch.

There is a QH part for the top hose; that once shortened; is perfert fit as below. (ofcourse yours will be in black rubber :rolleyes: ) (I can find out the part number if you need it - mine is P6 engine).

DSC01107.jpg

The bottom hose on mine is a bit of a mysteryl it is one piece and I am guessing from the P6 but not sure. I was not able to find a match; not a problem unit it goes.

The largest electric fan that will fit is 16 inch; do not fit smaller than than. Mine is from a Merc in a scrap yard but Ford Mondeo ones are 16 except they are puller type (sit behind rad). Just reverse the wires and although supposedly the blades are optimised to spin in 1 direction, it shouldn't make too much difference. Going rate in scrap yard would be about £ 20 compared to over £ 100 for kenlowe or similar brand. Place the fan as close to the radiator with cowling to maximise air flow through it.

Oh, in case you are wondering, I blinged the hoses with blue rubber paint .... :lol: not looking quite as good after getting it muddy.

02GF74 - Many thanks for your reply, I understand what you have said.

How do you incorporate the expansion tank into all of this, i have just enough room to use a "tall black plastic series type" at the side of the rad. I would appreciate how to pipe it ?

Many thanks again, Teedee

02GF74 - Many thanks for your reply, I understand what you have said.

How do you incorporate the expansion tank into all of this, i have just enough room to use a "tall black plastic series type" at the side of the rad. I would appreciate how to pipe it ?

Exactly as it was originally. The radiator filler neck should have a small pipe to connect the tube that goes to the black plastic expansion tank.