Britpart - The good and the bad

Tetsu0san

Have to agree, the seat covers are pretty good. Their castor corrected radius arms are fine also.

Accidentally purchased a wiper park switch and indicator stalk the other day, the park switch disintegrated before it made it out of the box and the indicator stalk seems to be missing the internal roller contacts :( 

I forgot to mention the shocks! When I bought my 110, it had been fitted with the plain Britpart black shocks and I was given the receipt at the time of sale, so know roughly when they were fitted. Anyway around 4 months later they were removed as they had absolutely no resistance and would suggest that any oil had long since disappeared - so a rubbish from me. I would never have fitted them! 

Exhausts - rubbish

Electric Window mechanism - incredibly rubbish (<2 weeks)

Bearings - laughably rubbish (< 2 weeks again)

Brake discs - I'm still alive so OK I guess

Oil filler cap - total rubbish (how can you make it so badly it won't even screw in?)

Hoses - OK but I've only ever used them to chop up & make things fit, or stop something rubbing.

Lights - Not awful but obviously cheap quality, would rather have LEP etc.

Not sure I've had anything from them that I'd describe as good, usually it's been because the choice was "Br*tp4rt or nothing" either because they are all that's in stock or the genuine part is £££'s.

• 2 years later...

BAD Both Britpart wheel cylinders from a rear  brake overhaul kit - for my Series 3 109 brakes leaked on installation. One so bad there was no pedal at  all. Problem appears to be the cylinder cups that either are porous(!?)  or deform and let air and fluid past on load. Swapping the cups for $34 PBR cups.

Series front mudflaps are okay.

Fuel filter cap seal swelled up to twice its size on contact with diesel.

Some lock tabs are okay, series exhaust hangers were okay.

Spare wheel cover appeared well built, but no idea how long it will last in the harsh environment of English weather.

But generally I avoid if the option exists.

Series wheel cylinders which had seals fail before they even had pressure on them

Series air intake hose which failed without ever having had the engine run

Series military tank which was both the wrong size (wouldn't fit in the available space in the chassis) and the filler cap didn't fit

6 I kid you not 6 series clutch master cylinders which failed within a week of fitting

On 3/3/2019 at 1:53 PM, JeffR said:

Bought some stainless braided brake hoses which were solid....Never bought Britpart bits since and never will.

I bought the same things when I rebuilt my Disco 6 years ago. Braiding lasted about 6 months. Avoid Britpart whenever possible.

Advise please. I am busy overhauling the engine of my 300TDi Disco. After a strip down, and seeing the oil pump rotor destroyed, I bought an All Makes pump. It was only when I cleaned up the timing belt rear cover that I noticed fine cracks in the oil pump cavity. I then bought a new cover/housing

The new Britpart cover comes complete with an oil pump installed. I did not know that the oil pump was standard with the cover

The Britpart pump rotor looks different from the All Makes' pump rotor, so it is not from the same factory (assumption)

Does anyone have experience of the Britpart oil pump, or should I rather install the All Makes pump, The reason why I'm hesitant, is the the BP pump might be better suited to the BP cover 

Depends if the Allmakes pump you bought was STC3407 (circa £15) or STC3407G (circa £30). The latter being part of their PR2 range so at least it has some credibility.

Britpart only sell the £15 pump, so I would have expect them to fit that into the case no matter how "good" the case manufacture is.

If you have the more expensive Allmakes pump I would fit that instead of the Britpart one. Although if you can provide photos then we can give better opinions.

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

If it's important, and isn't easy get at. Genuine.

If it's crucial, and available, EAC or genuine.

Thumbs up from me on the EAC stuff. All the driveline parts I've had have been excellent so far. Also worth noting that it's EAC bits that tend to arrive in Ashcroft rebuild kits. 

BAD

Series brake/clutch cylinders porous, rough machining and full of swarf.

Series brake shoes with mixed linings - positively dangerous.

Brake hoses with weak crimps - dangerous.

Prop UJs and steering ball joints wear fast.

Series steering relays have a reputation for shearing.

Seals (any assembly on any vehicle) - an oxymoron.

Bearings - usually unbranded rubbish with outer races shaped like a 50p coin and square rollers.

Indicator stalk switch - poor contacts that melt the plastic mounting, and one was 1/2" smaller diameter on the bracket (probably for a Mini).

Lights - melt their plastic earth contact mounting.

Halfshafts - snap like twigs.

Speedo cables - the drive gear end is not correctly profiles, stripping the square section hole of the drive gear, and the cable is the wrong length relative to the other sheath.

Engine/transmission mounts - wrong grade of rubber, far too hard and transmit excessive vibration.

Gear stick/hand brake lever gaiters - too thin and poor quality rubber; tear easily.

Door/tailgate seals - too thick/hard, so doors won't close properly.

SIII/Defender door hinges - more play new than the worn out, rusty old hinges.

Exhaust - don't know how they get steel to rust so quickly.

GOOD

Alternators.

300Tdi timing belt kit (all Dayco)

Clutch plates (Valeo or Borg&Beck)

CV joints (lasted better than Genuine Parts for a fraction of the price)

Bought a clear lense front indicator for a Disco 300 - and the lense wasn't even glued to the body along the whole top seam. Unbelievable how they can sell such utter rubbish -  a blind man could have assembled it better. The other problem from the same order was a brake hose that leaked from where the rubber inserts to the ferrule - straight out of the box 

On 3/9/2019 at 12:30 AM, dailysleaze said:

Depends if the Allmakes pump you bought was STC3407 (circa £15) or STC3407G (circa £30). The latter being part of their PR2 range so at least it has some credibility.

Britpart only sell the £15 pump, so I would have expect them to fit that into the case no matter how "good" the case manufacture is.

If you have the more expensive Allmakes pump I would fit that instead of the Britpart one. Although if you can provide photos then we can give better opinions.

The pump that I have is the STC3407G (PR2). I will fit that

Thanks for the advice

I can definitely recommend avoiding Britpart 90 fuel tanks.  After three hours of bashing, grinding away a good section of the welded flange and the badly shaped underguard, hitting it with a mallet and forcing it with a trolley jack and crowbar, it finally went in, looking like a jamaican steel drum.  

On 2/14/2017 at 1:12 AM, Landrovernuts said:

I forgot to mention the shocks! When I bought my 110, it had been fitted with the plain Britpart black shocks and I was given the receipt at the time of sale, so know roughly when they were fitted. Anyway around 4 months later they were removed as they had absolutely no resistance and would suggest that any oil had long since disappeared - so a rubbish from me. I would never have fitted them! 

That's interesting, I bought the Cellular Dynamic shocks (the orange ones) for my Disco almost 3 years ago, and they're still going fine.  I didn't buy them because they were orange, I bought them because they got good reviews.  I didn't use the Britpart bushes that came with them, I used Allmakes stock rubber ones.