wing protectors

pritch1

hi just me playing with a spare 5 mins today but can anyone see any design floors in this. its just to protect the wings from tree damage know its not to scale etc etc. im hoping to keep it as discreat as possible with only the 2 side bars showing and the majority of panels standard landrover.

Know its been done before i was just playing and though i would put it on here for any critisium before fabricating it up :lol:

wings.jpg

yea solid works we do alot at uni so i can use about 7 or 8 cad packages always liked solid works though :) much easier than many others.

another question is would anyone on here be able to bend the side bars for me as my pipe bender tends to kink the tube? i would want it in 50mm galved tube and will have to check the radius tommrrow

If it is only for tree protection and you want it as discrete as possible can I suggest that you remove the triangulating bar from the bent tube and run it instead from the bottom of the bent tube back to the rear chassis mount?

You could then also ditch the brace you have shown running from the middle of the horizontal bar beneath the headlight.

Of course, I don't know if this will all fit as I don't know what might be in the way on the vehicle :unsure: .

Hi, how are you gonna have just the 2 main side-bars showing when you have a diagonal link between the vertical and horizontal part which is in the same plane - this must therefore be outside the bodyworkl too, no?

What did I not see?

Al.

Reading it again, I agree with bishbosh - you should do it as he says. It seems you've got quite a bit of tube in there for something so simple...

I wonder if the tyre would interfere though? (If done as suggested).

Also, I'm not sure you need the little link running from the front chassis-mount-plate to the rear chassis-mount-plate. It's just doubling up on the main chassis rail, and won't add anything to the strength (to speak of).

So in total you can remove 6 links and put in 2, thereby saving 4 links if all of our suggestions fit with the wheels and stuff?

Al.

hey thanks for that. the triangulation to the corner was to try and brace the corner from knocks as the plan was to loose the front bumper and just have a central winch mount. as i felt that if i had just the bend bar under inpact it would move back at a guess.

the triangulation bar you can see on the same plane would actually sit behind the wing panel as it would be a smaller diameter.

Ill defo get some pics and shove them up in the members vehicle section. keep the advice coming guys, sure the black pig has something similar fitted?

was simons 90 on sprokel and gromet or something like that think i might of seen it.

yea i was trying to keep it looking standard as much as possible but if needs be i will end up creating new panels just so fed up with bending the wings up against tress at least if i could easily remove pannels from a space frame, they would be easily bashed back into shape.

I prefer AutoCAD I suppose its because ive been using it for ages,

Used rhino, basically the same as AutoCAD but the rendering is out of this world,

It makes auto cad look like it was programmed in the Stone Age lol

Tom :)

simon r

have you ever thought of offering this kit(wind protectors) as an ''off the shelf'' conversion , would be a few takers im sure , me for one :D

p.s split charge arrived today , think postie kept my X-shaft tool :angry:

cheers matey :):) B)

simon r

have you ever thought of offering this kit(wind protectors) as an ''off the shelf'' conversion , would be a few takers im sure , me for one :D

p.s split charge arrived today , think postie kept my X-shaft tool :angry:

cheers matey :):) B)

I am looking at making/selling the very thing!!!!! I will have some samples in the next 7-10 days.

Chris

I am looking at making/selling the very thing!!!!! I will have some samples in the next 7-10 days.

Chris

Chris, I'll give you a call next week. I was going to do something along these lines but if someone else has done the work anyway.....

Snorkel out of the wing is sooooooooooooo last season; you want a rear snorkel ;)

Chris, I'll give you a call next week. I was going to do something along these lines but if someone else has done the work anyway.....

Snorkel out of the wing is sooooooooooooo last season; you want a rear snorkel ;)

Hey Will Not everyone wants to copy D4x4 :P

It makes auto cad look like it was programmed in the Stone Age lol

Tom :)

So, so, so true.

I have to use AutoCad due to company standards but god I hate it!

Ive been using CAD systems for 15 years now, and AutoCad is only just better than the first one I used !!(RoboCad).

Im a big fan of solid works but my absolute favorite is Microstation, very good.

The bolt on idea of wing protectors should have a good market, perhaps its worth chasing!

Heres my example, a bit extreme but it gives me peace of mind when "clipping" those trees.

S4010078Medium.jpg

S4010186Medium.jpg

S4010184Medium.jpg

S4010169Medium.jpg

S4010168Medium.jpg

S4010167Medium.jpg

S4010070Medium.jpg

S4010066Medium.jpg