RV8 Compression Test pressures

Evening all,

Last night I got round to compression testing the 3.9 that's been sat in the project RRC for far too long unattended. I bought the car knowing that the engine wasn't running right and until now i've looked at it no more.

Doing the test with cold, dry cylinders, 7 of the 8 cylinders rise to 165-175 psi within 3 or 4 revs of the engine, the 8th (no4) sits at about 60psi, which hopefully will explain the water in the exhaust the previous owner mentioned. Getting the heads off should reveal more on that front, once I get a look at the head gasket and cylinder.

Before I go ahead and take the heads off, is 165-175 psi across the board for a cold dry engine acceptable or not? Are there any other tests worth doing at this stage, before the heads come off?

Cheers,

Luke

Cheers Nige,

I'm expecting/hoping to see gasket failure between the cylinder and the water jacket hole, as the adjacent cylinders tested ok and there was definitely water coming from the exhaust the last time the engine ran.

Luke