Volvo c303 disc brakes?

Pete Boy

Hi there,

Im after a disc brake conversion kit for my C303 axles currently attached to a series 2a.The problem is portal tek used to do them, but are no longer listed on there website.....

Any advice,ideas, or other makes of kit would be helpfull as i really need to get those drums off!!!!!!!

Thanks pete :)

I have the portaltek disc conversion. The actual brake set up is laughably simple, Wilwood rotors and calipers mounted on a very simple bracket. The key is in the stub axle assembly they build to allow the disc set up to work. I'm reasonably sure that they still do the aftermarket stub axles even if they have stopped doing the rest of the kit for some reason. In any event, as per above, check with Jez.

• 1 year later...

HOFS don't make their own kits :-(

RPR is correct... the kit comprises of off-the-shelf willwood calipers and disks. The stub axle is the important bit. But its taken us nearly 2 years to get ours from Portal-tek! As far as I'm aware there isn't anybody else who makes them... anybody any good at reverse engineering ;)

Dan

We are now thinking about making our own conversion for two sets of axles. Any reason not to run RRC/Disco disks and calipers?

In Sweden the equivalent ov DVLA rules are such that as long as we retain the brakes and suspension setup an axle swap is not a large modification.

Tobias

We are now thinking about making our own conversion for two sets of axles. Any reason not to run RRC/Disco disks and calipers?

In Sweden the equivalent ov DVLA rules are such that as long as we retain the brakes and suspension setup an axle swap is not a large modification.

Tobias

If a kit that used standard LR parts could be cobbled together then that would be a good step forward!

I'll be watching with interest ;)

Only that they don't easily fit.

The Portal-Tek kit was about the best answer I've seen to the question (I run the kit and it's excellent), but casting new stub axles was obviously a big step and made a lot of other things much easier. The upside is the discs & calipers were off-the-shelf Wilwood parts which is tricky to do DIY - you can easily end up having to machine your own discs to fit.

We looked at all sorts of ideas before the Portal Tek stuff, there's a few decent ways of doing it (some of the Finns do a pretty effective conversion with Toyota bits) but there are also some total engineering abortions out there which are very scary. The Straightforward Supplies setup I saw falls firmly into that category, we nearly died just from laughing.

HOFS don't make their own kits :-(

As far as I'm aware there isn't anybody else who makes them... anybody any good at reverse engineering ;)

Dan

Dan

Have you got some pictures of the stub axle to start with?

If so i might know a man that can!

If he says he can would obviously need a stub for him to copy and what sort of quantities and price to aim for?

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

The stub/hub is a cast assembly with various bits of machining done to make it shiny... but its a big old lump.

From what we've heard it should be near on impossible to break the items we have, unless your name is Jezz :lol: , so I don't think we'll be needing replacements for a while.

TBH we've waited so long for our bits I don't really want to let them out of my sight at the mo. But if there was a market and somebody had the time and inclination to make something similar I'm sure we'd be able to work something out.

D

Hi Tony,

The stub/hub is a cast assembly with various bits of machining done to make it shiny... but its a big old lump.

From what we've heard it should be near on impossible to break the items we have, unless your name is Jezz :lol: , so I don't think we'll be needing replacements for a while.

TBH we've waited so long for our bits I don't really want to let them out of my sight at the mo. But if there was a market and somebody had the time and inclination to make something similar I'm sure we'd be able to work something out.

D

Hi Dan

Jezz will probably break them.

I didnt know if there was a demand for these for people who just wanted the stub, and then sorced the calipers ect themselves.

I know a tool maker /engineer /CNC wizzkid who loves a challenge, so if there was a market place for them , im sure he would have the inclination to see what could be done!

If you have got a few pictures of them, i could show him to whet his appetite that would be good!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for all the replies and pics,

I know the Malaysians convert their volvo portaled comp trucks to discs but haven't found any pics or info on how they do it,I will keep searching.

Has anyone been able to contact OMT offroad recently?

If someone can make some stubs I would be interested in a set.

Eric

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I sent them an email also and got a response 1 week later. The disc brake conversion is if I remember correctly 2500Euro ($3,322USD) and comes with a Toyota bolt pattern. Of course that did not include shipping from Germany. I sent them a reply asking if the Toyota bolt circle was the only option and have not received a response. This kit is not offered on their web site from what I could see. The OMT web site is still up. I called the former owner, that's how I found out of the sale of the business.

• 2 months later...