Volvo c303 disc brakes?

Pete Boy

yeah, i'm still looking for a solution (that doesn't cost arm+leg) too.

portaltek - no longer available. (no reply from new owner)

Havast - was that only ever a one off?

OMT - i dont want toyota bolt pattern, and its not cheap.

Other/DIY - I've seen bits & bobs on the scandinavian forums, but its hard to decipher. One solution welded toyota discs onto the volvo hubs, but thats a little permanent come disc replacement time.

Would really love to see a semi-DIY, cost effective solution. (wilwood or LR calipers/discs) no welding, if possible using existing hubs...

I've been trawling the Finnish forums again, and emailed the 2 companies that may have kits (http://www.offroadtarvike.fi/ and

http://www.offivaruste.com/) will report back if they reply.

I also had contact from someone who pointed me towards this ; http://forums.offipalsta.com/showthread.php?t=91157 looks interesting, i have pm'd the guy.

OffRoadTarvike have got back to me and it looks interesting.

They say 800 Eur per axle, but it converts to 6 bolt Toyota pattern (maybe a plus for some), they also said that they are working on a volvo pattern, but it would be more expensive.

Pictures as supplied by them:

KZJ73PROJEKTI002.jpgWILWOODSATULAT002.jpgKZJ73PROJEKTI004.jpgKZJ73PROJEKTI006.jpgKZJ73PROJEKTI001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update, as i have been in contact with OffRoadTarvike.

Their kit uses a modified/machined standard hub, the 800 Eur/axle includes that modified hub. But apparently its also possible to machine your own hubs. I'm just waiting for detail and kit price without hub supplied.

They say they have sold 40 units so far.

It looks reasonable well done from the photos - what do people with experience of the other (portaltek, omt etc) kits think?

what do people with experience of the other (portaltek, omt etc) kits think?

Difficult to tell really, the caliper bracket is very similar to PortalTek, caliper is Wilwood so no probs there I'd hope, but the key is how they machine the hub & mount the disc / studs, which is difficult to tell from those pics.

I'm guessing that they reduce the diameter of the hub, and add the 6 bolt pattern, but i'm waiting for pics on this.

The next part may not be a problem for LR owners, but for my c303 they tell me there are no standard Toyota wheels with the right offset. :unsure:

But they do sell weld-in wheel centres...

Which leads me to another question as i've never done this - Are welded wheels legal for road use?

HoSS - In the UK, if done well, yes they're legal. In Switzerland they'll probably shoot you for even thinking it.

The reduction of the hub diameter is the issue, those castings are concave and don't have any flat/machined surface outside of where the original wheel studs go, so there is a question around the material thickness once you have machined it flat. We know from experience that the Volvo stuff is not made from monkey metal and is almost certainly treated in some way, so machining it down / welding bits to it / whatever they've done is a risky prospect as you are potentially removing invisible strength in quite a critical area. Hence why I'm keen to see more shots of what they've done machining-wise.

This was partly the reason behind PortalTek casting their own stubs with decent thickness mounting faces for LR/Jeep PCD's. Expensive, but nicer in many ways.

Well the UK is a start, i will do some local research.

Regarding the hubs, yes i want to see photos too. I'm awaiting the reply to my latest questions.

The only currently available solution using custom manufactured hubs that i know of is the OMT, but its hugely expensive, read 2973 Eur per axle. :o

Offivaruste never replied to me, and the contact who i had via a Finnish forum no longer works for them. Do you know them John?

Offivaruste never replied to me, and the contact who i had via a Finnish forum no longer works for them. Do you know them John?

Not well enough to be any help I'm afraid. They do have a phone number, and most of Finland speaks English.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Off Road Tarvike

Here's some pics of the modified hub, looks reasonably strong to me. Hub thickness near the studs looks ok.

However its still a 6 bolt Toyota pattern, and apparently theres no standard toyota wheels with the correct offset, so they can supply Toyota weld-in wheels, but that adds to expense...

porttaali004.jpg

porttaali003.jpg

wheelsbeadlocks001.jpg

Hi,

Some pictures of the Portal Tek conversion for comparision:

DSCF0486.jpg

DSCF0487.jpg

DSCF0485.jpg

DSCF0484.jpg

DSCF0483.jpg

DSCF0482.jpg

The portal Tek calipers are further in towards the diff - this reduces clashes with 16" wheel rims - the well in the middle of the rim is the issue. With the caliper further out your into custom wheels what ever you do.

Adrian

The PortalTeks do get too close on standard modulars, it's a bit naughty but I ground some material off the outer faces of my calipers to fit my wheels, I think ~5mm spacers would also do. Disco steels fitted perfectly with no mods. Part of the aim with the PortalTeks was to keep the track width in a bit, they actually narrow the track a bit over standard whereas a few conversions we saw make it even wider, which is a pain for many.

Before we go any further, I must point out that unless someone finds a pile of money down the back of the sofa it's very unlikely to be viable to do this as up-front costs are high and we've all got way too much going on as it is. The question was a very tentative feeler, nothing more.

I would very very approximately guess that a set of 4 stubs would be in the £1-2k region based purely on what the PortalTek setup cost.

Stud pattern would probably be the same - Land Rover with maybe J**p as well.

Before we go any further, I must point out that unless someone finds a pile of money down the back of the sofa it's very unlikely to be viable to do this as up-front costs are high and we've all got way too much going on as it is. The question was a very tentative feeler, nothing more.

I would very very approximately guess that a set of 4 stubs would be in the £1-2k region based purely on what the PortalTek setup cost.

Stud pattern would probably be the same - Land Rover with maybe J**p as well.

Give me a proper engineering drawing of parts needed, material spec and existing part re machining and I'll see what I can do.

I think it would have to be closer to the 1k than the 2k for 4x stubs, as one has to add the calipers, discs and brackets, studs etc.

(Tarvike solution is 1600 Eur for 2 axles but i need to add 5x expensive custom wheels)

If one could use aftermarket LR 16" steel wheels, it becomes more attractive. (with the right offset for a c303)

I count 3/4 people in this thread who were looking for something, assuming they still are. How many units would you need to produce to make it worthwhile?

In principle i would pay my share upfront, if you had similar committed buyers.