Volvo c303 disc brakes?

Pete Boy

I think it would have to be closer to the 1k than the 2k for 4x stubs, as one has to add the calipers, discs and brackets, studs etc.

That's probably correct when PortalTek were making them, but they were doing higher volumes and costs for both the stubs and the rest of the parts were lower in the US compared to what's doable in the UK. I can *guess* and say £100 for a set of four, but I'd probably be wrong :P so I may as well guess high and see who's still serious.

I don't have all the data, I don't even know if I can get it, but I *do* remember the development process that PortalTek went through and there is plenty of stuff that's not immediately obvious. If only I could remember what any of it was... :ph34r:

2e9fed81.jpg

5878b428.jpg

ea6406e1.jpg

My setup is reduce the outer diameter install the studs from the rear add a 3/4 inch spacer then add the rear disc of a 2005 sylverado 2500hd discs !i will be using hummer wheels and tires the proper offset 7 in 2 out .

Hope it helps someone .

Nice one 94D. It looks pretty simple when shown like that.

What callipers and bracket are you using? Do you have installed pics?

Do you have any dimensions / drawings?

Tempted to have a go myself, with the aid of a machinist... Would need to find some European discs (LR even) that would fit.

@94D - It looks like you haven't actually got the studs on a flat face for the wheel to mount to?

It looked to me like those pics were part-way through the machining. the one stud in the second pic looks like it has a milled flat under it. And yes i had assumed that the outer face was still to be machined.

94D?

Nice one 94D. It looks pretty simple when shown like that.

What callipers and bracket are you using? Do you have installed pics?

Do you have any dimensions / drawings?

Tempted to have a go myself, with the aid of a machinist... Would need to find some European discs (LR even) that would fit.

After alot of googeling and reading i landed on someone with portaltek and he wath usinf the disc and calipers from a 2005 silverado 2500hd the rear one on the 4 courners why the rear ? Because the hat was deep so the caliper can clear the mag/wheel ( so no need to use the over expensive willwood setup)

@94D - It looks like you haven't actually got the studs on a flat face for the wheel to mount to?

Yes you are dead on but because i was planning somthing else like using mercedce bens studs that you can screw in from outside,realizing that the metal thikness was not enough so step 2 is to machine a flat surface for the stud from the rear like a normal truck you have to notice that i can change my disck without removing the hub assembly.

It looked to me like those pics were part-way through the machining. the one stud in the second pic looks like it has a milled flat under it. And yes i had assumed that the outer face was still to be machined.

94D?

Actualla it was a mistak by the machinist that led me to rethink it .

Step 2 is to machine flat surface for the studs notice that in order to have a flat full circle you have to cut deep in the flange/hub resulting a week spot ,so my solution is to only machine a half circle so the stud will have a shoulder to sit on ,from the other side of the hub wil be installing a flange to push the disc to the outside that flange will help to center the luges and give them rigidity .

The project is not finished as you know money do not gow on trees Lol

I'm still looking for a set asap. I am happy with Land Rover or Volvo stud pattern, not jap though. I have spare volvo wheel centres, a few sets of custom Volvo rims and a few sets of beadlocked LR rims, varying sizes... I am happy to stump up some cash John. But going to drop ross a quick PM first.

Funnily enough we've just machined a small batch of output shafts in 300M that are almost a scaled down version of that C303 one but are essentially a flange, bearing surface, length of spline and another diameter for an inboard bearing. These were a 24-48 DP spline

Shame there isn't much of a requirement for these otherwise I'd consider making a batch

Funnily enough we've just machined a small batch of output shafts in 300M that are almost a scaled down version of that C303 one but are essentially a flange, bearing surface, length of spline and another diameter for an inboard bearing. These were a 24-48 DP spline

Shame there isn't much of a requirement for these otherwise I'd consider making a batch

Well do you think it is normal to pay a disc conversion more than the axles ? It does not make sens in my book .

And this does not include calipers and discs.

? Your post doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that a disc conversion is a waste of money?

I thought the discussion had rolled round to wanting to use Land Rover wheels and discs. I'll go back to cutting the grass.

? Your post doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that a disc conversion is a waste of money?

I thought the discussion had rolled round to wanting to use Land Rover wheels and discs. I'll go back to cutting the grass.

Did not meen to insult you in any way ,please understand that paying 4000 usd for a disc conversion not anyone is willingbto do .espesially when on page 2 that companny is charging 800 euro per axle.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyway, digging the old thread up and putting it back on course...

My research into disc conversions for Volvo portals has turned up two more options.

1. Lehmann in Germany http://www.lehmann-ft.de/index.php?page=products&pkat=001&kat=005

"Thanks for your interest in our products. The basic disc conversion is based upon the

original Volvo hubs and rims. The hub will be modified, the discs are Ø280 x 12mm,
and the piston-diameter of the (used) callipers is 48mm. On the front axle there will be
four and rear two of it. The brake lines are not included."
CIMG0014.JPG?psid=1
Pros: Keeps original rims
Cons: Requires machined discs (replacement issue)
2. Volvo axles, poland http://volvoaxles.com/readarticle.php?article_id=4 not much on the website, but i've been in touch with the guys.
250920131212.jpg?psid=1
11032013439.jpg?psid=1
11032013440.jpg?psid=1
081020131250.jpg?psid=1
Pros: Bigger 316mm vented disc, standard un-modifed Mercedes discs, Can fit mercedes wheels
Cons: ?
I like option 2 because i dont like needing specially machined discs. What if the supplier disappears...?
I dont mind the pattern change. Merc wheels are easy to find and it lightens unsprung weight quite a lot.
I have some doubts about the hub though - i wonder how much thread there depth there is on the bolts..?
Anyway comments would be welcome, especially from those who know these bits (FF etc)

I wouldn't touch Wilwoods personally, we've had nothing but issues with them and parts are expensive.

As per my previous offer, I can have disc brake conversions done very easily and your hubs converted to whatever stud pattern you want. Defender vented discs and calipers are popular but whatever hardware you fancy really.

Ross

Hi Ross,

Actually thats a typo, As you can see in the photo, they are Brembo.

I was in contact with David about his conversion, its a nice piece of engineering, but i am nervous of the custom discs. They could be difficult to replace in the future, or in remote parts of the world if needed in emergency.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway, digging the old thread up and putting it back on course...

My research into disc conversions for Volvo portals has turned up two more options.

1. Lehmann in Germany http://www.lehmann-ft.de/index.php?page=products&pkat=001&kat=005

"Thanks for your interest in our products. The basic disc conversion is based upon the[/size]

original Volvo hubs and rims. The hub will be modified, the discs are Ø280 x 12mm,

and the piston-diameter of the (used) callipers is 48mm. On the front axle there will be

four and rear two of it. The brake lines are not included."

CIMG0014.JPG?psid=1

Pros: Keeps original rims

Cons: Requires machined discs (replacement issue)

2. Volvo axles, poland http://volvoaxles.com/readarticle.php?article_id=4 not much on the website, but i've been in touch with the guys.

250920131212.jpg?psid=1

11032013439.jpg?psid=1

11032013440.jpg?psid=1

081020131250.jpg?psid=1

Pros: Bigger 316mm vented disc, standard un-modifed Mercedes discs, Can fit mercedes wheels

Cons: ?

I like option 2 because i dont like needing specially machined discs. What if the supplier disappears...?

I dont mind the pattern change. Merc wheels are easy to find and it lightens unsprung weight quite a lot.

I have some doubts about the hub though - i wonder how much thread there depth there is on the bolts..?

Anyway comments would be welcome, especially from those who know these bits (FF etc)

There is no way out i did so many research on this issue if you machine the hubs you can have of the shelf discs if not you need hatless discs like wilwood even me i am ditching what i did and restarting again with a fool proof setup more machining more money live and learn

• 2 months later...

Of course there is a way out, we don't want to hear defeatist talk like that :mellow:

As mentioned above i have been researching several off the shelf solutions, as well as considering doing it myself.

The best i have found so far is from VolvoAxles in Poland.

It has several advantages (for me anyway)

- It uses standard off-the-shelf unmodified discs

- It retains dual independent front calipers (dual brake system)

- The hubs are not significantly altered apart from a skim and 5 holes, discs are bolted through them. So less concern about strength reduction.

So this is the solution i will probably be going with. Comments welcome as always.

20081002626_zps0ffa9e53.jpg