series extended front prop

88inchthing

Hello everyone, your thoughts please.

Just changed my old Britpart parabolics for some RM's. The new springs give a lot more lift than the old ones, and coupled with one ton shackels the standard prop is now to short.

Amongst the stuff in my shed is a good Disco 1 front prop and I am considering sortening it to fit. I am aware of balancing isues ect. I would like to know if the bolt pattern and flange faces are compatible. I would also welcome any tips on how to work out the ideal length ect

Cheers Bill

The Series and Disco use the same size U-joints (80mm) so I would think that the prop would fit. It's just the length's that you have to sort out. Have you measured the two props side by side, fully compressed and fully extended? It would be interesting and good to know the lengths before making any further comments.

Todd.

I don't know what the UK market is so this might not be a practical solution for you.

In the States a custom made new propshaft can be had for little more than the cost of an imported UK propshaft. So last time I needed a front propshaft I had one made up. I measured and provided the static distance between the two mounting flanges (transfercase & diff) and requested high angle U joints (allows greater spring flexing without binding) and a long slip joint (allowing greater axle movement when both wheels are moving in the same upward or downward direction simultaneously). I ended up with a propshaft that can adjust to much more articulation than the stock one can that is the proper length for MY Land Rover. All for a little less than 1-1/2 times the cost of an imported stock propshaft that would bind with my suspension and the way I drive.

Make do adapting propshafts from a different vehicle will often cause problems if you exercise your suspension. If you do resort to that, measure the static distance between the mating flange mounts and pick one from a vehicle with the same or very nearly same distance.

It's worth checking in with the chaps at the Propshaft Clinic in Bradford. I have front and rear customs shafts from them, wider yolks, longer slip joints and a narrower diameter in front to help clear the crossmember. They subsequently made the propshafts for Nigel Aldred's Gon2Far Suspension kits for Series vehicles. Worth calling them to see what they could do a similar spec front shafts for you.

O.K thanks for your coments. I may yet end up with custom props, but would like to avoid this as I have spent a fair bit on the suspension anyway. Tried the Disco front prop today and found it's about one inch longer than the series item. As luck would have it fits with the 3" lift perfectly. I will take it off roading next weekend and post how it gets on.

O.K thanks for your coments. I may yet end up with custom props, but would like to avoid this as I have spent a fair bit on the suspension anyway. Tried the Disco front prop today and found it's about one inch longer than the series item. As luck would have it fits with the 3" lift perfectly. I will take it off roading next weekend and post how it gets on.

Measure that static distance between mounting flanges of both vehicles. That will give you a good idea about dynamic fit. Just because you can get a propshaft to fit when a vehicle is at rest doesn't mean that it won't be to long or too short at maximum articulation and cause damage to other components of your drive train. (been there, done that, paid the bill for a "cheap" solution) Many times the cheap quick solution becomes a very expensive trouble maker in the long term.

disco front prop shaft is designed to work with diff and output from gearbox out of line ( diff is tilted up a bit) you might need to check if your ones are in line or you might get vibration on overrun :blink:

Propshaft Clinic made me a 4" slip joint with wide angle yokes when I fitted T I Console para's to my 109FFR (this has a 1Ton chassis with extended shackles already, adding to the problem).

Just the extra slip joint length on a standard length prop solved my issues.

disco front prop shaft is designed to work with diff and output from gearbox out of line ( diff is tilted up a bit) you might need to check if your ones are in line or you might get vibration on overrun :blink:

Well i didn't know that. As luck would have it I have turned my front axle on the spring seats to correct the caster angel for the 1 ton shackles, so now the diff points up a little. I haven't road tested it yet as i still have more jobs to do on it. Will post how I get on.