LETS HAVE A DEBATE

Yostumpy

Hello folks. I was out looking for a new truck today and was told by one dealer that they had 2 stolen off their premises, at about 9.30 tuesday, (same time as mine). Apparently they cut down a tree at the back of the yard to make an escape route and drove off with 2, whilst the garage was still open. NOW every body goes to sodburyto buy something, and that something has a good chance of comimng off someoneelses truck. Anonther dealer told me you Know some of the stuffs pinched ie a whole landrover in red , bits on about 6 differet stalls around the site and all the same shade, and all the dealers spoke in a liverpool accent. I 've nothing against any one from liverpol, its just a comment that was made to me. Now the point is, I think this recent spate of thefts just before sodbury is to much of a coincidence. Are the huge crowds and the vast somes of money that change hands feeding this crime spree!!. Without something as vast as sodbury would the thefts be on such a vast scale. Afterall if you buy a nice winch for £200 complete off a bloke with a wooden leg and a parrott on his sholder are you going to ask him for a reciept!!!!!!!!. And why the big police presence???????? Now this is a forum so over to you!!!!!!!!!!

I remember my beat bobby telling me a long time ago after I'd had stuff pinched from my garage that if they shut all the car boot sales the ammount of theiving would be reduced.

How do you prove that the stuff you see on sale in that field are yours??

Possession is nine points of the law.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

If it wasn't sold at Sodbury it would still be nicked and sold on e-bay or where ever. Might mean the thefts are speard out more across the year though. There's usually a police presence at Sodbury, not all wearing uniform, and some are quite clued up on LR stuff, obviously still not effective enough though.

Some stuff gets spread around between stalls before it opens to the public by traders buying off one another figuring they can get a better price. This would be particularly true with ripped bits which I would imagine being cheaper than non ripped ones.

I don't think it's the fault of Sodbury - and I think that if it weren't Sodbury, it would just be somewhere else.

I would say that being in one place, there is a better than average chance of catching them.

I think there are enough distinctive bits of your truck to be able to spot them and point one of the police there in the general direction.

Si

Stuff gets nicked! No matter what, where or how! No one, action can be held accountable for light fingered toe rags....

Old Sodders, Ebay.....Only two ways stolen goods get moved on! Fact of life....Sucks! But hey........The Goverment probably robs you of more than the toe rags on the streets!

I hear of enough land rover related theft through the year to just think that as it's Sodbury coming up, people are more vocal in shouting "keep an eye out for bits of my truck there!". IMO the crime rate is level and hasn't ramped-up for the jumble, and if it was closed then what about the LROi show, LRW show, et cetera? plenty of places to move it on if that's where they do it, not to mention the number of back-garage dealerships about

Guest diesel_jim

So i suppose also, because some off road drivers broek a fence down and drove over a farmers field, they should next ban all off roading?

bit like banning hand guns because someone got shot.

and banning knives....

Yostumpy.... are you one of B Liars "kneejerk reaction squad" per chance? :rolleyes:

So i suppose also, because some off road drivers broek a fence down and drove over a farmers field, they should next ban all off roading?

bit like banning hand guns because someone got shot.

and banning knives....

Yostumpy.... are you one of B Liars "kneejerk reaction squad" per chance? :rolleyes:

not AT ALL old chap!!!!!!! i would buy at sodbury if it was a good deal, I'm no saint matey, I was just opening it up to the forum for discussion, i'm not full of sanctimonious clap trap. If you cant enter a debate without slinging poo then join the labour party and be one of Blairs henchmen.. Lighten up dude!!!!!!!!!

:huh::huh: Uuuummmm, what has sodbury got to do with car theft???

Thats like saying scrap yards should be banned because people steal cable from electricity substations!!

Most 4x4's are probabaly stolen to order for thier bits or exported.. which is why you rarley hear of them getting recovered.. Because the the trucks halfway to Dubai, or the engines now powering someone elses truck..

:( Sorry... Just had to post....

P.S: I'm after 200/300 tdi for my 90...

..and I've never before checked the engine numbers on potential donor engines (and don't plan to) so I

WILL be at Sodbury looking for one.. :P

That is the one thing I would not by from Sodbury there is no way to trace a person selling a engine with a major fault or stolen till you have fitted the engine.

If you buy off the forum you can get hold of the guy through this forum Ebay is not as safe but IMO Sodbury is asking for trouble buying a engine there.

Don't get me wrong I buy and sell at Sodbury but I bought a Black 04 freelander front and Rear bumpers last year when I go home I thought why break a car that front and back are sell able same car :(

Go and by a old disco from the free ads it will be much cheaper and you know its not nicked.

My brother came very close to losing his truck in the very early 90's when the Garage that fitting the engine to his Range Rover the CID boys were all over it and luckily the engine had come direct from LR and he had receipts from LR but it was a worrying few hours.

I personally don't buy at Sodbury, but even stuff you buy off the classifieds on this forum, the back of the magazines or a salvage yard could be stolen.

When you buy an electrical object and the wired have been cut rather than unplugged would you be suspicious?

Should Sodbury be closed as some stolen stuff is sold there, sounds a lot to me like lets ban offroaders from greenlanes as some are irresponsible.

But maybe thats just me.

Richard

Top90

has a point I will not buy anything electrical due to you don't know if it works.

I go every time with a trailer that is crammed with stuff from breakers I have bought and striped myself (I keep the bits I need and sell the rest) but I do feel when walking round there are some very doggy guys selling some thing that are too good to be true but you do get chaps that buy job lot stuff from Dealers so you can't tar them for that.

The massive majority are people like me just there to get the odd bargain and sell unwanted stuff that is no use to me but is worth a few quid.

It should not be stopped due to a few bad eggs.

and its a good social thing as well.

Guest diesel_jim
not AT ALL old chap!!!!!!! i would buy at sodbury if it was a good deal, I'm no saint matey, I was just opening it up to the forum for discussion, i'm not full of sanctimonious clap trap. If you cant enter a debate without slinging poo then join the labour party and be one of Blairs henchmen.. Lighten up dude!!!!!!!!!

I'm not slinging poo mate, i'm just stating my opinion. did i slag you off? where did i sling poo? i was just saying that the comment of "ban sodbury because of some stolen parts" is just the same as "ban off roading because of some irresponsible folk".... (although saying that, "they" are nearly banning it anyway! :rolleyes: )

If this weather is anything to go by from this weekend, all the stolen stuff will sink in the mud anyway!! :D

Speaking of time team, one of their 110's passed me the other day london bound on m20 by maidstone, full up, flat out and swaying a bit in t'breeze. looked nice truck!!!!!!!!! didnt see mr robinson though, perhaps he was under the bonnet stoking the boiler!!!!!!!!!!!!