Intermittent electrical fault

Turbocharger

I made the mistake of jetwashing my car today - now I've got an intermittent fault with the indicators (no, not the once-a-second on/off/on/off fault). Usually when I use the hazard lights the trailer light flashes instead of the indicators (is that normal?) - on the motorway on the way back the trailer light came on dimly but permanently and the indicators flashed much more slowly or not at all. Any ideas?

did you jet wash the engine bay, is so maybe some water got through to the hazard relay in behind the fuse box (after it made its way through the realy) try just removing it and sticking on a radiator for a while to dry it out.

my trailer dash light comes on with the indicator dash lights when the hazardas are on. (eg they are both on flashing in sink!

The flasher relay is electronic - no bimetalic strip.

Generally problems like this are down to ingress of water into the relay. There is a transparent blue plastic cover - not sealed in any way to the base which the contacts poke through.

Reccommend taking it out & sticking it in the airing cupboard over night.

This is the only way the trailer light can be dimly illuminated.

Do not be tempted to seal with silicone - the fumes corrode the tracks on the board and it stops working a few weeks later!

I carry a spare instead now.

Si

It is normal for the trailer symbol on the dash to flash when the hazards are operated if the Landy is factory fitted with trailer electrics. The little orange/red telltale in the hazard rocker switch should also flash if fitted(though it is usually pretty pathetic!)

Regards, Diff

Err - kinda. First thing this morning, no trailer light, no indicators. Drove 200yds (as an engineering test, you understand. I wouldn't drive an unroadworthy vehicle to work just because I was late) and the indicators started working again. They were flashing a bit slowly but sped up to normal during the journey.

I didn't jetwash the engine bay, nor the interior, that's the odd thing. I did wash out the wiring behind the 'flaps' in the wheelbox of the rear tub though.

I'm pleased other people have the trailer light for hazards - apparently the pathetic red telltale in the hazard light switch is a favourite reason to fail a Defender at MOT time.

It is normal for the trailer symbol on the dash to flash when the hazards are operated if the Landy is factory fitted with trailer electrics. The little red telltale in the hazard rocker switch should also flash if fitted

Yep, that's as it should be, factory fitted or fitted later :D