90 300tdi cooling pipes

Bonfire

Evening one and all

Had some 'fun' bleeding through my 90 cooling system today but got there in the end...

On a 300tdi 90 engine the pipe that runs from the thermostat housing to the coolant bottle and branches off to the top of the radiator...the funny round valve thing (looks like a minature brake servo) that sits in the middle and forms the 'branch'.

Blowing down the pipe from the thermostat housing seems impossible, is it supposed to be like that? The hose on the other side passes air (!) fine.

I was wondering because if this was why I was having trouble. Also, the coolant bottle never seems to get hot. The engine runs at normal temperature etc.

Thanks much,

James.

Nope should be clear in all ports. Thats why u have problems bleeding and expansion tank is cold, there should be a constant flow from both of these pipes in2 the tank.

Take the hoses off rad and thermo end and check the stubs are clear. Remove from widget and blow through or carefully use a thin bit of wire, refit. With expansion tank lid off and 2000rpm, u should see coolant being squirted up on the underside of the top of the tank from where the hose from the widget joins the bottom of the tank. System will self bleed.

If hose from expansion is blocked, air/bubbles will collect in the housing since its the highest bit. Thermostat won't be immersed and won't open properly leading to overheating.

It's a expansion tank ejector valve, fitted upto To (V) LA 939975, on later vehicles it was deleted.
Can you describe how the expansion tank is plumbed up on the later vehicles?

Would it be worthwhile or benificial to change earlier vehicles to the later method?

Can you describe how the expansion tank is plumbed up on the later vehicles?

Would it be worthwhile or benificial to change earlier vehicles to the later method?

I'll add some parts pics for cooling system :D

Radiator hoses

radiatorhoses.jpg

header tank & hoses/ejector valve

300Tdiheadertankhoses.jpg

Radiator

300Tdiradiator.jpg

Hope these help :D

Edited by western

Thanks for the tips and part no's. I know that the stub off the thermostat housing is clear, as I removed the pipe to help the bleeding..thinking about it it probably didnt help as IIRC it takes its flow from before the thermostat....I will have a look when I can and see if I can unblock the valve or maybe do away with it seeing as it was deleted on later models,

Thanks all.

James.

It's a expansion tank ejector valve, fitted upto To (V) LA 939975, on later vehicles it was deleted.

mine's a Nov '98 build date and it has it. I thought the bleeder acted as a check valve ? (non-return valve)

I'll add some parts pics for cooling system :D

header tank & hoses/ejector valve

300Tdiheadertankhoses.jpg

Hope these help :D

That is similar to mine (disco 300Tdi in rangie)! What I was interested in, is the later ones that you said did not have that (so called) ejector.

That pic is from my Genuine LR 110 1987 on parts cat -[paper version]

there's no mention of VIN numbers related to it.

my EPC tells me the VIN info I posted above, but the part number comes up as a superseded item ESR2348 no mention of a replacement part number in Defender or RRC or Discovery 1 parts listings.