Wheel bearing!

Typsey

That's right, following a trip to Langdale Quest my baby has developed a nasty vibration sound, like something rubbing from the near-side wheel. Think that it's a wheel bearing and would like to know how easy these are to replace and whether anyone knows of an online write up that I could follow.

Trying to do more work on the Disco myself in order to feel manly, just don't know where to start!

Thanks,

Typsey

Depends.

If it is really bad then the bearing race can be welded on to the stub axle in which case can be a B&&&&& to get off!

Otherwise it is easy enough (in theory!). You don't say front or rear but for rear (which seem to go more often)

jack up vehicle

remove wheel

remove 5 drive member bolts withdraw halfshaft

remove brake caliper bolts & tie caliper out of the way

remove bearing retaining nuts & lockwashers

remove hub/disc & outer bearing

remove bearing/race from stub axle

tap out bearing race from hub x 2

tap in new bearing race to hub x 2

to quote Mr Haynes "refitting is the reverse of removal" :)

Of course there is usually some hammering and swearing which the book fails to mention and also use of hacksaw/grinder/several hammers/oxyacetylene is entirely possible!!! It is wise to fit a new hub seal and you may even need drive member etc depending on what state that is in (seal track may be worn/grooved damaging seal and letting water into bearings which caused original failure). Minimum parts required will be hub seal, drive member gasket, w/brg kit and lock washers. Maximum parts reqd may include hub, stub axle, brake disc....

Worth re-greasing them all periodically as well - every 2 years or so and fit new hub seals - can prevent more ££££.

However if it is bad enough that you can hear it, change it very soon, you really don't want to have one lock up on the road it makes life suddenly get very interesting indeed. And for every other car within 400 yards at the time, add 1kg of fear to your underpants :)

It's actually the front near-side that's gone.

How long does this job actually take then?

Piece of string job.... (as in "how long is a" :D )

If all goes well maybe an hour or two. If you have to resort to hammers, grinders, oxy acetylene, etc etc, could be rather longer....

It takes me about an hour, but then I am so skilled and knowledgable it is incredible.

For a normal person I would allow 2 to 3 hours, support the axle on stands or blocks, chock the wheels, or it will fall on your leg, how do I know this?

The hub seal should (I am advised) be fitted with the spring outer most. I always used to fit them the other way (spring in) but now do it proper, it keeps the water and mud out this way, (but what keeps the grease in?) still it has never leaked grease so it must be right.

Crack the drive member bolts while the wheel is on the ground, it easier. Oil may come out, dont worry, its a Land Rover, just put some grease in on re assembly. Some bearings have an outer seal, some dont, make sure you get the right bits and dont mix the two sorts up.

Geoff

It takes me about an hour, but then I am so skilled and knowledgable it is incredible.

For a normal person I would allow 2 to 3 hours, support the axle on stands or blocks, chock the wheels, or it will fall on your leg, how do I know this?

Do I detect a slight contradiction in those two statements.... :lol:

The bearing may just need adjusting rather than replacing.

the only time I've had to replace bearings is after water has got ina damaged them, never worn one out as yet.

check for play in the bearing before you embark on replacing them.

Okay, here goes.

After some playing around yesterday having a go at jigging the bearings around and having a general mess, I change my wheel bearings today.

With the help of Mark from Hull 4x4 club I took out the old wheel bearings and replaced them.

The inner one seemed to have rusted up slightly and I think that this was caused by the drive member not having a gasket on.

These were replaced and filled with grease.

Would like to point out my idiot moment where I was trying to undo the brake caliper mounting bolts the wrong way and managed to shatter a socket and bend a wrench.

Oooops!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Typsey