D2 Air Suspension

toger

Hi gang,

I'm looking to see if anyone has an opinion on which way to go with the air suspension on the Disco2.

I don't own one yet ut am looking to buy a 200-2002 ES at some time in the future, and when the right one comes along of course.

It has ben suggested to me that the best thing I can do, once I get one, is to remove the rear air suspension and replace them with springs.

Can anyone give me the benefit of their advice please?

Many will say there is nothing wrong with it but personally I prefer coils as if it is broken you can see what is wrong and when you have fixed it, you have fixed it!

If I bought one with SLS I would be inclined to leave it for as long as it is working OK and rip it out when it goes wrong. Not sure but I expect you can get "de-airing" kits like you can for the P38 RR, a thingy that fools the SLS into thinking it is at the right height so all the warning lights stay off when you change the springs.

Find a D2 owner who hasn't had problems with their rear air suspension.

A classic case of a good idea, poorly executed by Land Rover. The system sucks! Often it's down to 'computer crashes', rather than failure of components, but visiting your dealer just to reset the system gets a bit boring after the 10th time.

Look on the tech section of the Discoweb site for details of the air to coil swap.

KEV

Find a D2 owner who hasn't had problems with their rear air suspension.

I've had three ES (and Premium) D2's and never had any problems, these ranged from 10,000 to 90,000 miles.

I also took one of them round Morocco with roof tent, jerry cans and an extra spare up top. (that ACE is great, you get no extra lean for the loaded rack.)

I would stick with it until there is a problem.

Richard

No, don't rip it out. Air suspension with the right controls has a lot going for it.

Keep it and upgrade it. Take a look at what Simonr has done for some ideas. Maybe replace the control unit first and swap out the rubbers for some longer jobbies later when the originals start to fail.

More complex that four bits of twisted steel but far more flexible in more ways than one.

No, don't rip it out. Air suspension with the right controls has a lot going for it.

Keep it and upgrade it. Take a look at what Simonr has done for some ideas. Maybe replace the control unit first and swap out the rubbers for some longer jobbies later when the originals start to fail.

More complex that four bits of twisted steel but far more flexible in more ways than one.

When's simonr coming along?

• 3 weeks later...

Also, dont forget that the 7 seat models were only homolgated for use in the EU (inc UK) with rear air, so if you fitted springs to one on these, you would, in effect have an illegal model. I'd hate to make an insurance claim, only to lose out on something like this. You know what insurers are like for trying to wiggle out of paying up.

Alan

• 4 weeks later...
Also, dont forget that the 7 seat models were only homolgated for use in the EU (inc UK) with rear air, so if you fitted springs to one on these, you would, in effect have an illegal model. I'd hate to make an insurance claim, only to lose out on something like this. You know what insurers are like for trying to wiggle out of paying up.

Alan

Hi Alan could this be the same 'big honourable member' from the old place.

How goes the caravanning these days???? still got a Swift - i'ts a year almost to the week that we sold our Conqueror and gave up 'vanning (And 8 months since we sold the D2)

As to the original topic my D2 was the base model (Can't remeber the designation) I chose this for two reasons:-

1 - I used to caravan and the airsprung D2 was reputed to be a bit jittery with a 'van on the hook.

2 - I too was concerned about airsuspension reliability.

Just I thought but if you want coils springs why don't you get the correct spec. D2 fitted with them from the factory.

Hi Martin

yes its is I. Swopped the Conqueror for an Abbey Spectrum 620 last year, so still towing with second D2 (a 04 model Landmark)

I must have gotten used to the nervous feel that I considered to be an issue with the first air sprung D2. This one still has it, but everything else about the D2 outways this "issue". For sheer pulling power and towing ease, there isn't much that betters a D2. In France in the summer, it even out climbed a latest RR 3.0d, who was pulling a smaller van than us, on one of the long climbs heading back toward Caen.

I'm just about to get it chipped, well the ECU reprogrammed anyway, as this isnt outwardly visible to the great unwashed.

nice to hear from you - hope you are well.

Alan