Steering Shimey, Brake "Light" and Uneven Ride

Fatboy

Well,

The 2nd last time I fitted new pads I thought "Hmmm.. must get new discs". :(

The last time I fitted new pads I thought "God, I really must get new discs soon!" <_<

Last week the fluid light came on for the brakes and I figured it is because all of the fluid is busy behind the pistons sending worn pads on a marathon to find the worn discs.... so got all of the parts (yeh right!) to:

Strip front hubs & calipers - replace discs, rebuild calipers with seals and pistons, Fit new pads.

Check wheel bearings but they should be okay, fuit new hub seal - job done.

Started job on Wednesday evening:

On stripdown, track rod ends are past their best - Go back to the garage on Thursday and get a pair of them... Still, got the hub stripped and new disc fitted plus caliper rebuilt and only sh@gged one stupid little seal ring :)

On Thursday evening, stripped the other side, trashed five stupid little seal rings and found the wheel bearing is a bit coloured. So, on Friday back to the garage to get another few sets on caliper seal kits... :rolleyes:

On Friday evening, rebuilt the other caliper (finally!). Replaced the wheel bearing and the seals, fine. Then spent an age trying to get the sodding track rod ends out of the track rod - Managed triumphantly to get one out and the other moving only to find its jiggered the threads..

So, now I'm off to get a new Track Rod..... B)

However, at the end of the day, its kept me out of the pub, its relatively cheap to do and should last a while now!! :D

Well,

The 2nd last time I fitted new pads I thought "Hmmm.. must get new discs". :(

The last time I fitted new pads I thought "God, I really must get new discs soon!" <_<

However, at the end of the day, its kept me out of the pub, its relatively cheap to do and should last a while now!! :D

Photocopy page of parts book with axle on it, photocopy, tipex out axle casing, diff & calipers, fax to supplier, send me all these bits :ph34r::rolleyes:

Is it worth checking your axle preload while you have got it all that far apart?

May you enjoy the fruits of your labour :D

Niall,

Ah yes... Did that and they were fine :D

Did tracking last night and all of the clunks, clatter and shimmies are history...

Unfortunately I managed to shove my 'leccy screwdriver into the palm of my hand last night :ph34r:

Sore = understatement :rolleyes:

Typing is now even slower....

Unfortunately I managed to shove my 'leccy screwdriver into the palm of my hand last night :ph34r:

Ouch :o got to ask what you were using a 'leccy screwdiver for on the axle, but I suppose that's like asking Stephen Potter what he needs a 2 lb hammer for inside a junction box :rolleyes:

Having finished the Rangie, done tracking, taken for long spin, I brought it back and jacked the front up just to check that the new wheel bearings were still nicely "wobble free". Tickety boo.. :D

So still "on a high" I decided to sort a wooden tray that has split - Drilled a pilot hole and got some glue and No.6 screws... The tray being hard wood, "locked" the screw up quite quickly, the screws were slot heads rather than cross so I wasn't using my drill but had to use a screw driver.... The big 'lecy one was handy so I thought "that will do" :( . First time, it slipped so I braced the tray with my right hand and really leant on it to prevent it jumping out again.....

but it did. :huh:

Its no where near as sore today as it was yesterday :D

Hi Donald,

Glad to hear everything has gone well with brakes/steering etc!

Can you let me know when I can come round and have a look at mine if the offer's still open?

Cheers,

Hugo.

Hugo,

You got mail at work bud. Hows Sunday at 4pm-ish? :)

Sounds excellent,

Been away all day on a subsea christmas tree course!

Not the most exciting <_<

(Now anyone not in the oil industry will be wondering 'what the h*ll does that mean?') :blink:

Will reply to work email in the morning, cheers Donald,

Hugo.

Well, I don't quite want to tempt fate, but I drove all the way home Donald and there was no squealing!

:ph34r:

Now I'm just worried that I tempted fate. :unsure:

Many, many thanks Donald. It was very kind of you to give up some of your Sunday and some of your spares!

Hope I can repay you soon! Ask Niall, I'm a demon at electric garage door installation....ha ha... :D

I was certainly impressed by the inventory I have to admit! Probably got more classic spares than Land Rover's classic parts department!

I could have played all day in that toyshop! :D

Like I say, hope to be able to help you out soon.

Cheers mate,

Hugo.