Anderzander

Look what I brought home last night ..

A bit scruffy in the flesh - but solid and my resident series one expert tells me its largely original too.

Little clip of driving it off the trailer. Tentative, as its no brakes!

:i-m_so_happy: super, I'd love a 107 SW but just can't justify having 2 vehicles.

Lovely vehicle :)

Has someone had a go at restoring it in the past? It looks in excellent condition for its age.

Les.

I'm very jealous.

You lucky sod.

Hope you enjoy it!

G.

super smashing great!

we'd love an SI at somepoint, but i've got a IIa to do first...then the III needs rebuilding..

we'd love a 101 too.......

Big result tonight - got the brakes working and had a proper drive up the road :D

It drives beautifully!

My friend came over and we worked on the brakes (using head torches after it got dark!) Got a decent pedal in the end. In fact it'll lock the back wheels with a firm prod. All new 80" wheel cylinders had been fitted all round - but the seals weren't right on one of them... and presumably because its a single line system the whole lot had drained out from it..?

Its not been restored just worked on - I think the pictures make it look better than it is. The paint is hand done and very very thick! The front springs are shot - in fact on one side the axle is on the bump stop.

Underneath is very good - its been painted with that red lead paint. Which is now peeling off in a gooey mess. It looks like the stuff they used to used on steel hulled ships. So its a right thick mess - but its also to thank I guess for its condition.

A couple of years back it had a 2.25 petrol put in, up until then it'd had the original 1.6 petrol. But it apparently let go in a major way.

I'll post up some pics of it as I work on it. Close ups will show its definitely had 58 years of use.

I love it - what a buzz that first drive tonight was.

When the weather's good, remove the roof, doors, and fold the screen down. It's great driving them like that.

What size are the tyres? They look big (should be 600/16's I think)

Les :)

Congratulations looks great and it's the right type of Series.

Well for me anyway sorry Series 11, 111 owners.

You'll love driving it.

Marc.

Fantastic. Great to see someone keeping it going. Good luck with any future work. Red paint could be an old plant type as used on tractors and the like. Be aware that it could have a lead type base if removing for your own safety. Otherwise enjoy a very original experience.

...just in time for pottering about in the sunshine too, beautiful!

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys - and for the heads up on the lead paint.

It has 16 x 6.00 tyres and it is an 80". At its biggest dimensions it is 5' wide and 10' 6" long. I barely had to clear the garage out to get it in!

It has an MOT until the end of the month - so whilst the sun shines I'm just putting some miles and smiles on it.

The electrics are the worst part about it, very messed with - I've got everything working except the indicators, which are a later addition, but I believe are an MOT requirement?

The 2.25 petrol is super smooth and torquey - but incredibly thirsty. I think maybe 15 to the gallon!? So I'd like to do a 200di conversion on it later. I bought a really nice 200tdi this week.

First thing though is to just drive it and have fun with the top and door tops off. Its really rewarding to drive - what with the lack of synchromesh, loads of play in the steering and so on it takes a fair bit of planning for every change on the road.

I would like to take it to bits eventually; blast the chassis, strip the bodywork back to bare metal, and spray everything. Keep the dints, to keep it honest, but make it clean and a bit shiny again. That would be the point I'd put the 200 in.

The electrics are hugely expensive if you want to put it back to standard - the horn with built in dip switch is about £250!! - and original choke is about £75. So I'll source preiod alternatives from ebay.

I'll keep update the thread when that all starts to happen.

but I believe are an MOT requirement?

If they're fitted, then they must work. No seatbelts for that age, indicators were an optional extra, passenger side wiper also an extra, heater extra :) Great, isn't it? I restored a 1956, 86" Series 1, and the lights were £720 :) I bought a new loom from AutoSparks, which was as original spec. Original copy seats from Exmoor trim, etc, etc, etc, etc (it gets like that :) ) You can't beat driving an old S1 - it's so cold, uncomfortable, noisy, etc. :)

Les.

I would like to take it to bits eventually; blast the chassis, strip the bodywork back to bare metal, and spray everything. Keep the dints, to keep it honest, but make it clean and a bit shiny again. That would be the point I'd put the 200 in.

That'd be lovely. There are too many over-restored S1's out there now. I think she (he?) looks gorgeous as she is.

^^^^^^^^^ As above!

It's your truck but IMHO it would be a shame to tart it up too much.