Anderzander

Look what I brought home last night ..

I see what you did there ! 

They came in two flavours 3.9 and 4.3 - and mine are the 3.9 ... 

• Like 1

Looking really good, those are some quality replacement chassis parts by the looks of it, where are they from?

They are excellent - they are made by Carl Radford - I’ve bought his bumper, bulkhead outrigger, bell housing crossmember, gearbox crossmember, and tear crossmember.

I’d definitely recommend his stuff.

Those repair parts are very neat , I've saved Radfords to my favourites , thanks . Their bulkhead's are nice too by the look of it .

Just off at a slight tangent , how much would a 1600 engine go for ?

Nice work

Steve b

Unfortunately I think he’s just stopped doing the bulkheads ..

I haven’t seen a running 1600 for sale for ages - they seem to be silly money though. People in the series 1 club are saying that parts and machining to rebuild one is coming in at £4K 😳

The later 2 litre engines, running, seem to be around for £1500 -£2000 - and they can be ‘dressed’ to look like a 1600.

The 200tdi gives 40mpg in an 80” though - that swings it for me.

10 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Unfortunately I think he’s just stopped doing the bulkheads ..

I haven’t seen a running 1600 for sale for ages - they seem to be silly money though. People in the series 1 club are saying that parts and machining to rebuild one is coming in at £4K 😳

The later 2 litre engines, running, seem to be around for £1500 -£2000 - and they can be ‘dressed’ to look like a 1600.

The 200tdi gives 40mpg in an 80” though - that swings it for me.

Yeah I'm hoping for similar mpg with mine once its done, was getting that with my last S2a 200tdi :D

Lovely work, it's nice to make an old chassis good.

Well done

• Thanks 1

A photo from the painter with the chassis in etch....

EAD4AB72-C384-4569-9BFB-854FECF8E598.thumb.jpeg.6a8b6ecde9bcfc9bb15c4a68bd85cabd.jpeg

...and now back from paint:

dMqgm95.jpg

Following the suggestion by @Maverik tubes have been let into the middle crossmember in order to Retro fit lap belts. They’re spaced to line up with the gaps between the front seats.

27NcLC3.jpg

Later series engine mounts fitted - I tortured myself over these, and would perhaps have the, a bit different if I did it again ... I got lost in small details and 

673Max7.jpg

Rebuilt dumb irons, new bellhousimg crossmember, and replacement bulkhead outrigger.

OZKIkME.jpg

Beautiful new rear crossmember !

Onwards and upwards now hopefully - I’ve a new set of springs so it should be rolling before long 😊

• Like 3

It’s rolling !

Still struggling to find tubless rims ... but, with help, it’s coming together 😊

MKerARg.jpg

Series 2 master cylinder so I can run the 3/16 pipework - Series 1 cylinders (wheel and master cylinder) are a fortune. Mine had standard S1 1/4in system all the way down to the union to the flexible pipe. An adaptor has been made up by welding a 7/16  union to a 3/8 union to take the 1/4in copper pipe to a 3/16 flexible and has S2 cylinders - it’s S2 all the way through now.

2FM2Ac0.jpg

S1 springs are only made by a couple of companies, both to order - £600 for a set 😱

hGOMgUH.jpg

Early 2a bellhousing takes a 1951 gearbox to a 1992 engine 😊😀   Thank you Land Rover !

172LilB.jpg

Picture doesn’t show it - but plenty more space between the crank pulley and the axle than there is the bump stop. 

7jPi9Xk.jpg

That looks so good with the green chassis , lovely work .

cheers

Steve b

Wow this just made my Weekend! That looks soo good, you can definitely be proud of your work! Keep it coming please :wub:

Getting lots of help Soren from a friend of a friend who restores Series 2’s - I can’t claim all the accolades 😊😀

23 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

That's looking stunning Stephen :wub:

I’m so excited - I spent a fair chunk of the morning just staring at it 💕

• Like 1

Great job.

Daan

This looks fantastic great job.

who made the springs?

Daan

I thought they looked like Jones' work. I'm soon going to fit a full set to the 109 S3 TC that I put onto a new galv. chassis last year.

I originally sourced through BM but they were over 3 times stiffer than the OE spec, so were returned .

The new Jones springs tested to spec on my test rig so should go on fine .

A friend has just sent his original 2A FC springs to Jones to be refurbed 

cheers

Steve b

I did wonder about the refurbed route - and I asked them for the pro’s and cons of both for my 80  - they said that because of the thin steel they are made from - it doesn’t re harden very well and they can’t get the same result as a new spring.

I may have to slow down with it a bit while I save some more money - I need to buy quite a few things still for it yet.

The list includes a tank, have the radiator recored, the bodywork needs some ally welding, I want the galv soda blasting and some decent paint put on - I’m still looking for tubeless wheels for it.

I also want some small bits that seem to come with big prices:  the series type expansion tank and bracket, I want a proper s1 horn dip switch (and they are a frightening price), an ignition switch.

After that it’s seats, tilt, and I’m going to fit a diesel air heater.

They’re not cheap these things 😊