Anderzander

Look what I brought home last night ..

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, Anderzander said:

It’s rolling !

Still struggling to find tubless rims ... but, with help, it’s coming together 😊

MKerARg.jpg

Series 2 master cylinder so I can run the 3/16 pipework - Series 1 cylinders (wheel and master cylinder) are a fortune. Mine had standard S1 1/4in system all the way down to the union to the flexible pipe. An adaptor has been made up by welding a 7/16  union to a 3/8 union to take the 1/4in copper pipe to a 3/16 flexible and has S2 cylinders - it’s S2 all the way through now.

2FM2Ac0.jpg

S1 springs are only made by a couple of companies, both to order - £600 for a set 😱

hGOMgUH.jpg

Early 2a bellhousing takes a 1951 gearbox to a 1992 engine 😊😀   Thank you Land Rover !

172LilB.jpg

Picture doesn’t show it - but plenty more space between the crank pulley and the axle than there is the bump stop. 

7jPi9Xk.jpg

Looking good :D

Not a great deal of progress recently - and not many pictures ...

A few of us were looking at the Glenn Coyne alternator kit that’s going on it and we noticed there was play in the front pulley ..  it turned out the bolt thread was damaged and it had stopped the bolt going all the way in - tightening up just before it had fully gripped the pulley.

This meant the damper could knock on the keyway - and with use has worn a rather huge slot in the damper keyway:

8aCvweT.jpg

Quite remarkable !  

Taking it off showed that the front crank seal must have hardened in storage and was leaking - so that was replaced along with a new belt. For the price of it - and for the time it’s sat it makes sense to swap it out. Water pump looks brand new which was a positive.

heres the new Bearmach damper - which is quite a good price (a bargain compared to the price of the one I replaced on my Td5) and good quality: 

1sG6tPt.jpg

Heres the front end all buttoned up again and with the Glenn Coyne alternator kit half fitted:

FoeUDE2.jpg

Obviously tons to do. I think the immediate next jobs are:

- getting the tubeless rims I bought blasted and painted and fitted with my new tyres.

- I’ve replaced the home made tank it came with - so I’m sourcing a cap and all the fittings for that too.

- the bulkhead has been blasted and is looking a bit scary - but i’m getting help with it though.

I’ll keep sharing - it’s just slowed down a bit.

• Like 1

A bit more ....

New clutch shaft made and that’s all working now - feels lovely.

n7GnDpB.jpg

Got the fittings for the fuel lines. This is an exact reproduction tank - but with the fittings doubled up to give me a Diesel return. The brake light switch cleaned up well and is a thing of beauty 😊 the level sender took a lot of work - but moves now!  It’s an electromagnetic type so I’m told isn’t polarity sensitive and should work fine on the new -ve earth set up.

r6uQJsi.jpg

Series 3 thermostat housing fits straight on - and had a flat bottom so works with the thermostat.

Qiwi2lC.jpg

Lastly in this post is the re-bent 200tdi dipstick - fitting around the 300tdi turbo and manifold, but picking up the original 200tdi mounting.

baDapzQ.jpg

• Like 1

The main progress is that work has started on the bulkhead.

Blasting it exposed a lot of grot - and brough out an incredible amount of filler.

ujds3LL.jpg

kLMWOhM.jpg

A friend produced drawings to then original dimensions - so we’ve had panels folded up for the top section and the door pillars-  and welded them together to give a solid fresh foundation.

pHe6D0a.jpg

Next came cutting out the original features to transfer them over to it.

ClnQ3Jd.jpg

Q2cTqHB.jpg

BSGQWHK.jpg

pIaul9W.jpg

Fortunately the pressed and shaped footwell sections are pretty good - so it should be possible  to cut that out in pretty much one piece and then weld it in.

Its amazing how something that pretty much looked alright can need so much work. It’ll be a big milestone though when it’s done.

Very nice work on the bulkhead , I know what you mean about cover up jobs - I have a early S2a 88 in at the moment with an equally badly bodged bulkhead . A straight edge across the vent flaps just below the screen mount brackets shows the centre between the vents to be 25mm further back than the outer edges .....and that is the smallest problem :)

Great build , looking forward to further posts

Steve b 

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a BIG job Steve 😊 

Share some pictures of the transformation if you get chance? 

I’m getting lots of help with this Ross - two non members get the kudos here. 😊

Almost ready for paint !

there were a few repairs to do - but the footwell section did come out as one piece...

R3xJ936.jpg

The foot wells had rotted on both sides from inside the outriggers - so I’ll be filling them with wax this time.

wLNg8rP.jpg

Close up of the outrigger repair.

fu7gfww.jpg

The back side of it ...... the bulkhead used to flex against the steering box. I didn’t realise it was because of hidden rot.

o50OOcS.jpg

The lip for the tunnel was lifted a fraction - with the 200tdi in and the 2a bellhousing it will benefit from a little more clearance.

GhWWWMX.jpg

The doors fit 😊

9ZlG0AN.jpg

Very happy 😃 

• Like 1

Left over parts for eBay ?

MGiaFTM.jpg

MOT exempt Series 1 bulkhead?

You guys produce endless amazing things !

But, for this project, this feels like a big corner has been turned - and the painter makes stuff look great.

I am though still daunted by some of the bodywork, things like the seatbox have had a really hard life and seem surprisingly quite complicated, with folds and double skins and of course rotten ally...

One step at a time though.

I’ve had some of the old Galv parts soda blasted and they’ve come up lovely - so that’s a big positive, I don’t want to lose all of the original finishes - I’d like to have kept more, but with it needing so much metal work and having had such a poor paint job - I’ve kind of got no choice.

31 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Left over parts for eBay ?

I've seen rattier tat sold on eBay!

• Haha 1

Woo Hoo - wheels and tyres, been looking forward to this 😊

4C3E08FE-51FC-4829-9F85-DDE516673077.thumb.jpeg.e2dd14b0a070ae92c608839065c661c8.jpeg

• Like 1

On 24/05/2018 at 10:02 PM, Anderzander said:

You guys produce endless amazing things !

But, for this project, this feels like a big corner has been turned - and the painter makes stuff look great.

I am though still daunted by some of the bodywork, things like the seatbox have had a really hard life and seem surprisingly quite complicated, with folds and double skins and of course rotten ally...

One step at a time though.

I’ve had some of the old Galv parts soda blasted and they’ve come up lovely - so that’s a big positive, I don’t want to lose all of the original finishes - I’d like to have kept more, but with it needing so much metal work and having had such a poor paint job - I’ve kind of got no choice.

Who is doing the soda blasting for you and roughly whereabouts in Lancs are you?

NA Robson in Blackpool do the soda. 

Soda is good stuff - but it’s expensive for anything of scale.

• Like 1

Neat job.

Daan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Woo Hoo - wheels and tyres, been looking forward to this 😊

4C3E08FE-51FC-4829-9F85-DDE516673077.thumb.jpeg.e2dd14b0a070ae92c608839065c661c8.jpeg

They look lovely. Keep the updates coming :)

• Thanks 1

Nice Wheels, looks very period :i-m_so_happy: What size are the tyres? 700? And are they a radial tyre even though the look old school?

• Like 1

They are a radial 6.50 - so they fill the arches a bit more but still keep the original look, not changing the proportions like the 700 seems to.

The colour looks a little light in the photo - but they are DBG.

And they’re on ....

DC5B6F89-6C23-4E4F-A42E-1B4F0F17DFC4.thumb.jpeg.3e4faca9f9b4b7c047b5cfe60cc20f1f.jpeg

174F4809-2D59-4A78-82C4-DDFEECF01A64.thumb.jpeg.1c99373ac3d390fe5eb55387377ecb7a.jpeg

B80A76E0-651F-4785-92A1-B19E29BA9DBF.thumb.jpeg.68e4e8fc28d0925b620c89cc5837ea56.jpeg

Also so got the doors and the front panel back from blasting - a bit of work to do on these.

Monday should see the bulkhead back from paint 😊👍🏻

CD453746-F990-4CA5-B19D-828D8D01E9E2.jpeg

BAE6DBD9-787B-473B-8381-A2742C85943D.jpeg