Anderzander

Look what I brought home last night ..

36 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

That door latch is very satisfying :ph34r:

It’s addictive !

When I’m there I’m endlessly opening and closing it - and when I’m away I’m endlessly watching that video. My friends joke about it being ‘just like a golf’ has also strangely got more and more enjoyable too!

We have the seatbox back from paint...  this was the worst condition piece of bodywork in the whole car, it had been all but cut in half, was very badly bent anxious punctured in a number of places. Jim (of the rear tailgate magnificence) has wrought some further magic here. 

D75877EF-5043-4D68-9654-44447E84D3C0.thumb.jpeg.d176012c1536b533597ce8b6af1b5404.jpeg

9FC8A053-00F6-4DB1-93DC-8A8264221DE9.thumb.jpeg.a4e2889c9fc1c0caf794dc9fdb1c3fe7.jpeg

9E7B78E1-57FE-429D-BA1A-9FA1C35A1347.thumb.jpeg.faac9eb690239ef67368cb0818b8396e.jpeg

One of those glorious seats put in place - they are very comfortable 😊. A great moment to sit in it ans close the door.

354F974C-E9CB-4DBC-B441-ED701CC84A15.thumb.jpeg.dc88d571a1cb21d34953d52eae99aac9.jpeg

The handy commode in the centre seat panel - is actually the PTO access hole.

444DCFE5-8019-48A5-8F07-95E37F714173.jpeg

The brackets that will go on the seat backs are being cleaned up, new rubbers fitted, and the leather strap that retains them in the upright position.

5A286044-50D0-4070-956D-8CEF882ABC0A.thumb.jpeg.8dbe6dd0715cf310e6f9f41ac21618a9.jpeg

Hoodstick in so I can measure how tall it will be - making sure it will fit in my garage ! It’s got taller tyres and new springs since it was last in there...

C03274BB-8F76-4307-9A7D-FE4EC194DCC2.thumb.jpeg.a1954522028995090bf4b988feeb3fcf.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve bought an oil lubrication plate for the front slam panel - but may have bought the wrong one, a later square one. So I’m considering fitting the later one and having a ‘rebuild plate’ made up somewhere to go next to it.

The one I bought 

12B4A57D-D4DB-405B-BC21-7E0CB283D12D.thumb.jpeg.cc02c36d79d60fa57735a0445e8d9c67.jpeg

The holes on the slam panel

46DBE270-7BFE-4B39-A1A8-3551291E6287.thumb.jpeg.3a0e05ade1497bda7b2e292478d55261.jpeg

The earlier type:

F05F0877-60AB-4C84-9221-36CCEC145EE8.jpeg.2338b228dd29cf6c194817b3e2719e68.jpeg

Anyone know where I might get a custom one made up?

I can’t remember the name, but there’s a company I’ve seen at shows thatdo custom badges (like the old LR badges etc) and on eBay too I think. Sorry that’s all rather vague.... I’ll shout if I remember the name! :)   

Looking amazing by the way. Must be so exciting having a seat to sit in :D 

• Like 1

Very exciting !

My friend took a picture of me smiling like an idiot in there - if he sends it me, I’ll post it here. You can put it on your door to scare burglars away.... 😊

• Like 1

WOW! Very nice! A great job! How did you clean the galvanised parts?

I’ve tried a few things - soda blasting, paint stripper, thinners and wire wool, and the best thing is a worn brass rotary wire brush in a cordless drill with the battery starting to fade 😊 

A lovely chap, called Graham developed it - and he seems to have just the knack to clean it put not take any off.

I think being able to restore the Galv finish makes this - it would look so different with all freshly done parts.

• Like 2

Just so you know, I'm not jealous at all... :ph34r: With the pace your progressing at you'll be done before the Salt is off the roads! Looking really good

Edited by Soren Frimodt
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 10:26 PM, landroversforever said:

I can’t remember the name, but there’s a company I’ve seen at shows thatdo custom badges (like the old LR badges etc) and on eBay too I think. Sorry that’s all rather vague.... I’ll shout if I remember the name! :)   

Looking amazing by the way. Must be so exciting having a seat to sit in :D 

That'd likely be Gavin at ArtminCNC - he did my 109 badges.

Alas - google took me to his website and the news that he retired in November last year....

I heard there's other people with CNC machines out there... :ph34r:

Lol

I was thinking an acid etched ally plate might be in keeping, but I’m open to cnc, or anything else ?  It’s just finding somewhere that will do a single item and of a nice quality - ive seen some pretty ropey reproduction plates.

3D print a pattern and cast your own at home with aluminium ? I've continued following every post in your thread and this 80" just gets more and more lovely .

The Alum. fab. guy is one skilled person , such crisp and accurate work , as is your paintman too . If you want to acid etch I'd look at brass , again possible in your workshop , if you find yourself in Suffolk on a trip with this I can promise the kettle will be boiling :)

cheers

Steve b   

• Like 1

Ave on YouTube has done some brass etching...

44 minutes ago, steve b said:

3D print a pattern and cast your own at home with aluminium ? I've continued following every post in your thread and this 80" just gets more and more lovely .

The Alum. fab. guy is one skilled person , such crisp and accurate work , as is your paintman too . If you want to acid etch I'd look at brass , again possible in your workshop , if you find yourself in Suffolk on a trip with this I can promise the kettle will be boiling :)

cheers

Steve b   

I’ll pass on your compliments ! Thank you - and great news that you’ve enjoyed me sharing the build here 😊

I’d love to bring it for a cup of tea sometime, likewise if you’re in Lancashire, come and have a nosey.

Does anyone have any broken Lucas FW2 wiper motors that I could buy and use for spares please?

Mine are in reasonable fettle, but missing their mounting blocks.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:11 PM, Anderzander said:

I’ve tried a few things - soda blasting, paint stripper, thinners and wire wool, and the best thing is a worn brass rotary wire brush in a cordless drill with the battery starting to fade 😊 

A lovely chap, called Graham developed it - and he seems to have just the knack to clean it put not take any off.

I think being able to restore the Galv finish makes this - it would look so different with all freshly done parts.

That is so true! Thx for the advice. I will keep it in mind for when I get to my galvinised stripes in a few years time😕

• Like 1

Thanks to the wonderful generosity of someone with an 80” or two, that I’ve never met (I love the internet!), I now have the right oil plate....

F7110DD5-E3F7-4438-ABD7-BB77D1F8B678.thumb.jpeg.f8be5e2be3d283187a4f0670a54cec71.jpeg

As a treat and an indulgence, sometime ago I paid for some numberplates to be hand painted.... here they are next to the blasted and painted (empty) ‘D’ lights.

A4C78502-A716-4780-A8DC-AA8444BFEAB9.thumb.jpeg.71bd2c7c04fd6e1070c6c86325dd5745.jpeg

Thats the back pretty much finished 😍

• Like 2

Nice to get the right plate... there are some really nice people out there.

37 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

here they are next to the blasted and painted (empty) ‘D’ lights.

I take it the D lights won't remain empty? do you have a cunning plan for indicators?

• Like 1

Not sure how I've missed this thread but caught up over a few lunch breaks, there's some great work gone into this. Love the modern touches to it too, keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blanco said:

Nice to get the right plate... there are some really nice people out there.

I take it the D lights won't remain empty? do you have a cunning plan for indicators?

I’m buying an LED board that’s made to fit them and flash red to indicate. I like the idea of brighter lights, low watts, and a standard look on the outside.

on the front I’m trying something that I’ve yet to see if it will work. I’ll post a picture later 😊

• Like 1

This is not a restoration - this is a work of great Art !

Your tame bodyworking / metal magician should be kept somewhere safe and asked to join us all for metal masterclasses...

Please keep it coming !!

image.png.db563202694cbc214203f146d6c2049a.png

The retired gentleman made me some badges.....

• Like 1