Anderzander

Look what I brought home last night ..

21 minutes ago, jordan_meakin said:

So are you going with the TDi? Has an adverse effect on the value of a series I...

I am. Adverse to the value but inversely improving its practicality and thus my ability to enjoy it.  

That said - If it had come with the original 1.6 I wouldn’t be changing it, but that was already gone.

4 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Can I have access to edit the first post please? I’ll fix the missing pictures....

Send a PM to Admin they can sort post access for you.

9 hours ago, western said:

Send a PM to Admin they can sort post access for you.

Thanks Ralph - I’ve messaged Geoff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Who’s admin these days Ralph?

look under the 'Staff' tag at lower edge of the header banner.

A modern engine in a historic vehicle could be a risk if new laws come in?

The suggested cut of is mods made up to 1980 only so a later engine could not have been fitted at that time?

Obviously this is still just conjecture until it is decided if at all!

I’ve looked into that a little - it’s not a clear picture yet I think.

At the moment it’s looking like the worst scenario would be that it doesn’t become MOT exempt. 

There are other exceptions for engine changes in that guidance and I think one of them is where it’s not a significant change and the original part is not available - lots of grey area there, but what’s definitely not availbe is a replacement 1600cc engine.

The 200 obviously can also bolt in on the original mounts - has the same number of cylinders - fits to a standard 2a bell housing etc - so there is more than half a case I think to say it’s not significant change.

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/news/government-clarifies-position-mot-exemption-modified-classics

https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/news/general-news/2017-12/in-depth-the-department-for-transports-guidance-on-the-mot-exemption-for-classic-cars-over-40/

• Like 1

One of the things I fell lucky with was the 200tdi engine I bought for this - I bought it nearly 10 years ago. Someone local had bought a Turner’s long engine for their Discovery, just done a few thousand miles on it and then had their car written off. For some reason they listed it on eBay for £250 buy it now.  So it’s been stored away since then.

For the 80” I’m fitting it with a 300 turbo and manifold. I spent time with a little wire brush and scraper cleaning up the engine and painted it with the colour blue that the original 80” 1600 would have been in.

Photos aren’t great - but it’s turned out nice.

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png.d2cded3df9621c5da02c78c4aeb8d2c7.png

• Like 1

Nice score! And cool choice of color :i-m_so_happy:How will the turbo fit around the chassis/engine Mount area? Are you going to modify the engine Mount on the chassis? Because I'm pretty sure its where the Number is stamped, at least it is on my '52?

13 minutes ago, Soren Frimodt said:

Nice score! And cool choice of color :i-m_so_happy:How will the turbo fit around the chassis/engine Mount area? Are you going to modify the engine Mount on the chassis? Because I'm pretty sure its where the Number is stamped, at least it is on my '52?

Thanks Soren 😊

it fits well around the engine mount - the down pipe is close to it, but it does fit.

That engine mount does have the chassis number - so I am making sure that stays in tact, but I am welding S2 mounts on. The 200’s vibrate uncomfortably at low revs on the flat 80” mounts - the angled mounts will make it easier to live with.

On 27/12/2017 at 11:35 AM, missingsid said:

A modern engine in a historic vehicle could be a risk if new laws come in?

The suggested cut of is mods made up to 1980 only so a later engine could not have been fitted at that time?

Obviously this is still just conjecture until it is decided if at all!

That's for MoT exemption, not registration.

Zander, the best comfort and noise will be if you can use the Discovery engine mounts.  The angled mounts may help, but they're still not great, and even then you have to find them in the right grade of rubber as even the Gen Parts ones of later years seem to have been made very hard.

I did look at Discovery mounts .... but I wanted it to look as standard as possible. Almost like like Land Rover had released the 200tdi in 1951. I’ve also amassed a large collection of engine rubbers and now have a soft set....

I’ll report back on how it is. My friend has a series 3 with a 200 hundred in it, on soft rubbers, and it’s lovely. I’m hoping for the same.

On 05/01/2018 at 3:46 PM, Snagger said:

That's for MoT exemption, not registration.

Yes but if it fails Historic then it becomes heavily modified and therfore will need re-registration and IVA or scrapped as a non legit motor?

Whole can of worms is likely.

It’s self validating as to wether it’s significantly altered - though there are identified marque experts that it’s optional to consult. 

One of the exceptions to modification is where the original parts can’t be reasonably obtained. So I’m my eyes - a bolt in engine conversion from the same manufacturer, where the whole rest of the vehicle remains standard, and an original 1600 engine is incredibly hard to come by and totally unaffordable when you do .... is ok.

Where do you think you stand on your V8?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, missingsid said:

Yes but if it fails Historic then it becomes heavily modified and therfore will need re-registration and IVA or scrapped as a non legit motor?

I think the point Snagger was trying to make is those the new rules apply to whether you get MOT exemption. In this case, it fails that due to having more than 15% more power/weight (exemption for unavailable 1600 not withstanding).

On the points system for registration, it's lost only the engine points, so way short of heavily modified and requiring an IVA. Lots of people in a pickle about this - and I've had pause for thought myself - but I've yet to see anything that suggests the registration points system  will change. 

Looking forward to seeing how she turns out, anyway. 

9 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Thank you !

I think we should have another thread to discuss the other or it runs the risk of taking over this one.

My apologies! 

I should say as well the block colour is a really nice touch. I wonder if there's a way to put a cone filter in an oil bath body (assuming there's room in the bay) if you wanted to continue the look a little further? 

No need to apologise 😊

my thinking filter wise was to use a Discovery one and see if a snorkel cone would fit on it ?

Lots to do before then though!

10 hours ago, lo-fi said:

I think the point Snagger was trying to make is those the new rules apply to whether you get MOT exemption. In this case, it fails that due to having more than 15% more power/weight (exemption for unavailable 1600 not withstanding).

On the points system for registration, it's lost only the engine points, so way short of heavily modified and requiring an IVA. Lots of people in a pickle about this - and I've had pause for thought myself - but I've yet to see anything that suggests the registration points system  will change. 

That was exactly my point.  :)

Welding is almost done - new rear crossmember looks much more in proportion than the later series type that had been fitted.

engine mounts left to put on and a new gearbox crossmember too.

D1202320-D9CC-4C74-B7B8-A94486421FED.thumb.jpeg.398f70c8c6a9765a80da5b80fdcf8b4c.jpeg

577847F1-B111-44D9-A9DC-4CEB53D0D6A8.thumb.jpeg.3d3712e621beedb680e6a36dbe5f0c72.jpeg

CFD30538-DB61-4063-B6BA-54EED13419A6.thumb.jpeg.9c0573be1f8b59ae1c8374a6327d86b1.jpeg

CAB24DEE-4013-4525-AE25-D6A9B02CCFF6.thumb.jpeg.41c795a8c4343640f53f1fece77696b3.jpeg

4530746B-9E0E-47C8-968F-4BCBB25435A3.thumb.jpeg.d22ed4e9daa372d330547ac88bf403b8.jpeg

80EA3EB0-2445-4D6A-9BA5-F0259240BB1E.thumb.jpeg.0096a38a19dd70f1a208f973257a300e.jpeg