300 tdi auto kickdown ?

inchman

Somebody pointed me at an adjustment setting for the kickdown cable but I can't find it now.

Just had a look in the tech archive and can't see it.

The cable is adjusted at the engine end. If it is shifting early then you need to move the adjuster on the cable outer in towards the throttle mechanism. That way the throttle will move further before the kickdown operates.

Take it in small steps as it may only need a couple of mm.

Don't just ignore it as the cable does more than just kickdown it provides a variable setting for the 'box shift pattern.

Steve

The adjuster on the outer cable should be set to give 1mm clearance between the end of the adjuster and the sleeve crimped on the inner cable.

Are you sure it is kick down, or could it be the torque converter locking/unlocking at 50mph?

The adjuster on the outer cable should be set to give 1mm clearance between the end of the adjuster and the sleeve crimped on the inner cable.

Are you sure it is kick down, or could it be the torque converter locking/unlocking at 50mph?

im not very up in automatic boxes, what does locking/unlocking mean ?

cheers Gary

The torque convertor will lock up at around 50 mph depending on which transfer box and what size tyres you have, as i understand it, this basically means it goes from some slip between the crank rotation and the gearbox input rotation to being a solidish link (locked) between crank and gearbox input.

Kickdown should work at more or less anyspeed, and should happen when you mash the throttle to the floor, usually resulting a large increase in revs from the engine, cloud of black smoke, the gearbox dropping down a gear or two and, you not really going much faster :rolleyes:.

Hth

Pete.

• Haha 1

That would be true if the crimp is in the right place and the throttle linkage is the same as when the crimp was originally set. As this is an auto transplant I don't think the crimp can be relied upon.

Steve

ive set the kick down cable adjustment as per manual, the cable seems to be hanging slack when i set it as per the manual, on a closed throttle

ill try again or is this right?

cheers

thats how mine is set - quite slack and in the 2nd hole out from the pump

• 10 years later...

I have the same problem with gear box kick down would somebody have a measurement of the distance between the clevis pin fork and the crimp on the inner cable as my inner cable crimp has worked its way loose. Many thanks in advance

Pull on the kick down inner cable. Just before it is all the way out, you feel an "indent". A resistance to pulling further, that you can pull past, if you pull harder.

You should adjust so that at full throttle movement, pedal to the floor, you pull past this indent.

I hope this was understandable,

T