Drive Train Upgrade - Confused!

stuck

Hi Gents,

I know ths has been discused before but the more I read the more confused I become, so please bear with me.

I have a '88 RRC auto pickup running a 4.6 with 35" Creepy Crawlers,as you can imagine I need to upgrade the drive train.

Am I correct in thinking that I can fit a 24 spline ARB and Ashcroft shafts to my existing axles? If so on Ashcrofts site which do I order?(Defender, Disco 2, Later RR?)

Along with the shafts what else do I need to change to fit these parts to my axles?

Once I've done the axles what are my options regarding gearboxes? (I want to stick with an Auto)

Many thanks for your help,

Mick.

You have choices

ARB, KAM,Quaiffe Diffs - locking or LSDs, Ashcroft, KAM Quaiffe Halfshafts

Do some research look at options prices and what your aiming for

On Autoboxes Ashcrofts have the edge everywhere, they can do you a decent rebuilt unit and if a ZF4 speed

should you need some beffier internals

Make you own mind up from asking, reserch prices and how close to your dream you can get

Nige

Hi Gents,

I know ths has been discused before but the more I read the more confused I become, so please bear with me.

I have a '88 RRC auto pickup running a 4.6 with 35" Creepy Crawlers,as you can imagine I need to upgrade the drive train.

Am I correct in thinking that I can fit a 24 spline ARB and Ashcroft shafts to my existing axles? If so on Ashcrofts site which do I order?

(Defender, Disco 2, Later RR?)

Along with the shafts what else do I need to change to fit these parts to my axles?

Once I've done the axles what are my options regarding gearboxes? (I want to stick with an Auto)

Mick.

Answering your questions,

Shafts and ARB, buy the ones for an 88 RRC, they will know which you need.

The front stub axles may need modifying but they will do that for you. HD flanges would be a good idea too. While they are at it why not get them to change the diffs to 4.11 and peg them. Stronger props would be a bonus as well. You have now spent the best part of £4k. A bit cheaper through KAM when I last looked but it is still in the same region.

Many would say that there are better options, for example mog axles or stuff from US pickups. Plenty more detail in this forum if you search for it. "longfields" or "spidertrax" will get you started.

For about that you can have full custom axles made by spidertrax or for 10k a full set (these both include willwoor calipers etc) of gen3 portaltek axles which turn a stock height vehicle into a challenge truck alone. :).

Unless you are building for 44"+ tires you probably do not want unimog axles, look for Volvo C303 axles as they do not have as severe a

gear reduction in the portal box. Pirate4x4 s probably a good place to begin when looking for either.