265/75/16 0n a defender?

can I fit a 265/75/16 on a 5.5x16 defender wheel?

i have never heard of this being done due to the tyre being considerably wider than the standard rim. most tyre firms recommend using a 7" rim, to keep the tyre walls vertical.

235 is safe enough with them rims after that your taking a chance.

Spot on - in fact the manufacturers normal minimum rim width for a 235 is 6in on most spec sheets, but in reality 235s are fine on 5.5in rims and lots of people here use them.

However the 5.5in rim are simply too narrow for 265s - people can and do fit them but it isn't sensible. The beads are pulled in too far and this deforms the tyre carcass out of shape, stretching the outside. BFG 265s on 5.5in rims usually split around the middle after a year or two as shown in the attached photo - I have seen a number like this and all were BFG MT 265/75R16 fitted on 5.5in Defender steel rims. Not long after the point at which the photo was taken there will be a loud bang and your laundry bill will go up fairly sharply! If the aforementioned bang produced an effing great big accident (which it might well do in a fast road situation) I expect the insurance company would start wagging their finger at you as well.

You need a 7x16 - for example white 8 spoke/modular wheel, or a Discovery Tdi steel wheel (nice and strong and look OK too) or an alloy. I've got mine on alloys on the 110.

post-33-12503730042_thumb.jpg