Hemi in a Landie?

Thunderkatt

Hi lads.

Just a thought that i aint seen a Hemi in a Landie. I've seen the Chevy LS engines in but not the Chrysler Hemi's. While on holiday in the states a year or so ago i had a Chrysler 300C with a 5.7 Hemi V8 in it and really liked the noise. I would think a Defender with an SRT8 6.1 would be very nice.

If there aren't any can anyone give any thoughts on why the LS1 engine is used over it.

Thanks Kris

There used to be a 440 Wedge engine in a Hybrid IIRC can't remember what it was called but the front end was a bit busy under the bonnet.

As to why prefer the LS engines, better ask the Ladoga guy's but my guess is that as the next gen Chevy there is shed loads of parts that fit, loads of knowledge and loads of power in a light(ish) package.

IIRC Hemis are very large capacity upper 400cu or more and thus a Big Block engine, where as an LS engine is a Small Block and can be available as an all Ally engine?

Edit,

Correction I missed the 5.7 Hemi which his I guess is Small Block territory but was under the impression that hemis are larger physically than Chevys?.

Marc.

Pete Rowe has raced with a Big Block chevy Land Rover,

stunning power outputs, and a huge number of modifications

strengthening everything that needs strengthening,

and lightening everything else :D

Often dismissed by those who don't see past what looks at

1st glance quite a "Standard LR" :rofl:

Nige

Pete Rowe has raced with a Big Block chevy Land Rover,

stunning power outputs, and a huge number of modifications

strengthening everything that needs strengthening,

and lightening everything else :D

Often dismissed by those who don't see past what looks at

1st glance quite a "Standard LR" :rofl:

Nige

The 440 Wedge was I think the "Mule"?

Marc.

Many years ago when my dad worked for the local L-R dealer,they bought a 74' 2DR RR fitted with a 7.2 chrysler lump :blink:

Aparently,it was a bit of a dog to drive due to issues with front prop angle,ive talked to my dad about it many times but it seems any info about what gearbox/t-box setup it used is long lost but i remember seeing it when i was younger and it looked completely standard on the outside but sounded great(prob why i love V8's now) it had a private reg no. "BONZO"

Oh how id love to have that now

The "Mule" was I think originally build by Steve Gates

it had a Jenson Interceptor engine in it :D and was

later owned by Chris Bashall, who changed the engine after

the Jenson went "pop" :(

I think CB shoved a Rover V8 in ?

Nige

After Chris had the 7 litre corvette it was changed to a twin turbo rover v8

I know its not a hemi but my dad used to run an early 4 door range rover in the early 90's with a 360 cu inch dodge V8 as it used the same auto gearbox as the dodge the A727 3 speed,all he had to do was change the auto box for the dodge one and bolt the transfer box and adaptor onto the back of it

iirc the hardest bit he reckoned was making the engine mounts

If there aren't any can anyone give any thoughts on why the LS1 engine is used over it.

I don't know a lot about the Hemi engines, they didn't really come into the equation when I fitted my LS1. The LS1 is slightly smaller and lighter than the Rover V8 and has many of the features "as standard" that RV8s have had to have shoe horned into them over a period of time. The attraction of a V8 that, rather than being a series of band-aids stuck on an aging design, was designed using relatively modern techniques and production processes was a real attraction to me. The LSx is also a pleasure to work on compared to the RV8.

In terms of value for money you really can't get much better than an LSx at the moment if you're looking for something with a bit more power than your standard RV8. Having said that though the Hemi does seem to come in at around the same price from turnkey suppliers although they don't seem to be as widely available or come in as many option packages as the "ubiquitous" Chevy.

Nowadays I suspect the main reason for choosing the LSx is simply because it's been done often enough now for people to start to feel comfortable that it's a good alternative to an RV8 and will fit in with a minimum of fuss. Imagine paying upwards of £5000 to import an engine you weren't certain could be made to fit and match the requirements of your vehicle. I'm sure if the Hemi were better known over here as an alternative engine that slotted in as easily as the LSx, there would be as many Hemis as there are LSx engines. I'd probably never have gone the LS1 route had I not been involved in fitting one to another Defender first.

The "Mule" was I think originally build by Steve Gates

it had a Jenson Interceptor engine in it :D and was

later owned by Chris Bashall, who changed the engine after

the Jenson went "pop" :(

I think CB shoved a Rover V8 in ?

Nige

Yup, Jenson's were 440 Wedge engines.

Out of interest, a Hemi has the plugs in the centre of the heads in a recessed tunnel in the rocker cover. Would this be more protected from water than a normal V8 with the plugs low down by the exhaust manifolds?

Marc.

A well set up new engine will cost you around $8000 plus shipping (air freight is roughly $1000 for an engine). That's a turnkey engine so complete with everything you need including fuel pump, regulator, filters and so on. Plumb it in, connect a few wires and away you go in theory.

They are available second hand and seem to be quite easy to get hold of in the US and Australia but not so easy to get hold of in the UK although they do come up occasionally.

There are a couple of places selling LS engines in the UK with UK stock but they've been less than helpful or knowledgeable when I've contacted them regarding spares and equipment as all they seem to be doing is shipping in turnkey engines and selling them on. Even with the current exchange rate it works out cheaper to buy from the US and fly the engine over than it is to buy from the UK suppliers. IMV you're better off building a relationship with a decent US based supplier and dealing with them direct rather than through an intermediary.

http://turnkeyenginesupply.com/

Mate of mine in Reading fitted a 426" Hemi into his 90 about 20 years ago, and although it was MEGA powerful it was total **** off road!

I think the engine weighed so much that it just plowed the fields, This was on 7.5" SATs though :lol::lol::lol::lol: those were the days :lol::lol:

Lara

I know its not a hemi but my dad used to run an early 4 door range rover in the early 90's with a 360 cu inch dodge V8 as it used the same auto gearbox as the dodge the A727 3 speed,all he had to do was change the auto box for the dodge one and bolt the transfer box and adaptor onto the back of it

iirc the hardest bit he reckoned was making the engine mounts

I'm putting an LS1 into my Land Rover silhouette thing. I chose it for the same reason Dave did - small, light, powerful, modern, relatively inexpensive, easy to bolt on extra horsepower, pretty waterproof. I ended up getting a low mileage engine for a good price that I will be 'improving' a little. However, if I were starting from scratch again I would probably go the turnkey route with the spec I'd want.

Having just done the mounts on the LS it did take a while as there's a lot of measuring and checking but it wasn't the worst job in the world. :)