Fuel filter issue

Hi all,

Just had a go at replacing the fuel filter on the TD5.

I got so far before I found that the plug at the bottom was just rotating, and not going anywhere. I could not get it off or on. It is just spinning.

I put the lot back on again, as is.

When priming it leaks through the plug!

Any ideas as to what to do to resolve?

Martin

Hi all,

Just had a go at replacing the fuel filter on the TD5.

I got so far before I found that the plug at the bottom was just rotating, and not going anywhere. I could not get it off or on. It is just spinning.

I put the lot back on again, as is.

When priming it leaks through the plug!

Any ideas as to what to do to resolve?

Martin

Sounds like the threads on the plastic plug are stripped. Don't know if you can get them seperately (40 miles from my parts books), but I bet a scrappie would have one.

They sell these seperatly for the td5 allright but they cost more than the filter. There are two wires coming out from them and a connector ,there is a plug on the chassy beside the filter where it plugs into. It is just a sensor that tells you if you need to drain some water out of the filter, a light will come on in the dash to let you know.

Sounds like the threads on the plastic plug are stripped.

Cheers mate,

Looks like I need to replace both now.

I have the part number for the plastic plug, now I need to get hold of one. Job for tommorow. Air ingress at this location might explain the loss of power on my truck.

Martin

Finding one of these plugs (with lead) has been frustrating. For reference the one in Les' tech is wkw500060. At one place I went to they had not seen one of these in a number of years! The only knew about wkw500070, which has an electrical socket built directly on the plug.

One will be delivered tomorrow from Edenbridge. £59.80 thou' - bit steep.

Martin

Sounds like the threads on the plastic plug are stripped.

I tried to get the old one off when the new one was installed. The threads were ok, but the neck had sheared at the bottom of the filter, and the copper fitting was just rotating around inside!

New one on an working - only the first mechanical maintenance I have ever done, along with replacing the oil rotor. Small steps but you have got to start somewhere.

Thanks Les for the techs!

Martin