Is it a big job.

kingdong2

Hi guys

is it a big job to clean the intercooler and air intake out as i only have 1 day to do it in as the wife has the disco 6 days a week for work.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi

1997 disco1 300 tdi.

short answer,............. no :lol:

While youre at it, take the breather hose off the airfilter and fit a catch tank instead. Then your intercooler will stay nice and clean in the future. Took the hoses off mine the other week after the Alisport intercooler had been fitted for a few years. Inside the hoses, manifold, and what I could see of the intercooler were clean and dry. :)

Meths, petrol,white spirit,just put in swig around and then empty out, repeat and required,

Last time on mine, I used white spirit to shift the oil, and then rans lots of water through to ensure I dislodged as much as possible.

As intercoolers are metal they are naturally fairly chemical resistant.

Dan

What I do-

Remove the intercooler, pour a pint of petrol in it, close the ends with my hands, and slosh it about for a few minutes. Tip the contents out (which usually are black), then repeat until what comes out is as clean as what went in. I use an old hair dryer to blow the vapours out, which takes just a few minutes.

Les.

dont believe them!!! It will obviously take a lot longer than you think. It is a LandRover after all. They make them like that! :D:D

I would be very suspicious if a 2 hour job was really a 2 hour job. I must have dont something wrong!! :D:D:D

Hi

You can easily do it in a few hours.

Take the intercooler out and flush it out with any of the above mentioned products or you can use,

Mr muscle, the drain cleaning stuff, a solution of Vanish(the pink stain remover)in hot water.Yes I have used them both only not at the same time. If you have a big enough container you can submerse the whole thing and leave it for a while.

The longest part of the job is rinsing and drying the intercooler out after.

Regards

wizard

dont believe them!!! It will obviously take a lot longer than you think. It is a LandRover after all. They make them like that! :D:D

I would be very suspicious if a 2 hour job was really a 2 hour job. I must have dont something wrong!! :D:D:D

The intercooler bit will take 2 hours - its the other major distractions that you find in the process (hoses, rubber mounts, rusty nuts, dodgy wiring, etc.) that will take the time!

why is everyone saying it takes so long to dry the intercooler out?

refit the intercooler after washing it out and dont reconnect the hose from the I/C to inlet manifold.

Turn the engine on and give the throttle a couple of blips. Turbo will spool up and push quite a large volume of pressurised warm air through the intercooler and dry it out in just a few seconds.

refit the top hose and away you go.

What I do-

Remove the intercooler, pour a pint of petrol in it, close the ends with my hands, and slosh it about for a few minutes. Tip the contents out (which usually are black), then repeat until what comes out is as clean as what went in. I use an old hair dryer to blow the vapours out, which takes just a few minutes.

Les.

i take it the inlet manifold can be done the same way.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi

1997 disco1 300 tdi.