Car derived van

ciderman

Not at all?

The current legislation means that the Ask the Police information is correct, Dual Purpose Vehicles with a GVW under 3T are allowed to do 70/70/60

The point is that a defender hard top is not a Dual Purpose Vehicle, unless is a 110 with a second row of seats, or possibly a 90 SW.

If it doesnt have the second row of seats and the corresponding windows, its a simple goods vehicle and there for comes under 70/60/50

"LGV" is Large Goods Vehicle and encompasses most trucks over 7.5T including artics.

A defender is not LGV.

Its PLG, (Private and Light Goods) just like a transit van or a ford fiesta!

Yes you are right, I had my terminology incorrect as in ‘Light’ & Large’ ………… but a defender van or truck cab is classed as a light commercial in eyes of the law. ………

By hey guys, the concept of CDV is quite easy to understand …………. An astra van is a CDV , but a Movano is not …………….. a fiesta van is a CDV but a Transit is not……………. Similarly a Freelander commercial is a CDV but a defender is not.

I guess if you read all the regs through rose tinted glasses you can make them read the way you want them to read…………..but at the end of the day the def van is subject to the lower speed limits……….

OK ………… I seem to remember that the V5 of a CDV classes it as a CDV……………... if el plod does a vehicle PNC check it comes back with the vehicle type description (as in CDV, Light Goods, etc) and this info is from the the DVLA database………I have just spoken to the DVLA on the phone (regarding another issue) and asked the question to which the answer was ………….. A Defender van is not a CDV………….

Ian

Why? VOSA are only saying that the definition 'dual purpose vehicle' is going to be removed from the Motor Vehicles (Tests) Regulations.

The confusion grows.

I'm not sure where there is any confusion. The definition of a Dual Purpose Vehicle will not exist from 1/1/2010. So a DPV won't have any exceptions as from 1/1/2010 there will be no DPV's. Not just for MOT, for everything.

Cheers

Steve

We could go around in circles with this all night. My view, and it may be wrong, is that just because VOSA have decided to remove the class of 'dual purpose vehicle' from their book of Motor Vehicle (Tests) Regulations it doesn't mean that that class of vehicle ceases to exist with regard to speed limits. After all, VOSA exists to inspect vehicles and not to set, or enforce, speed limits.

I've written to VOSA to ask why their warning about speed limits for dual purpose vehicles is at odds with the FTA Yearbook of Road Transport Law and other sources. I'll be interested to see their reply.

Jase, it's not a car derived van - fact. The 90 hardtop is too heavy to be classed as one.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for clarifying that Steve , I knew all along that they did not fall into that catagory , but I had a bit of an argument with one of our drivers when I stuck an FTA speed info sticker relating to Non-CDV in his hard top 90 .

His argument was a CSW is classed as a car and the hardtop is a derivement of it .

Then when the weight issue was raised he still persisted he could do 70 mph on a Dual carriage way .

But thats why they are drivers I guess :P

DUAL PURPOSE VEHICLE

A vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage of both passengers and of goods or burden of any description, being a vehicle of which the unladen weight does not exceed 2040 kg, and which either:

(i) is so constructed or adapted that the driving power of the engine is, or by the appropriate use of the controls of the vehicle can be, transmitted to all the wheels of the vehicle;

I'll go along with that.... it makes my Defender 90 a Dual purpose Vehicle.

It was a CSW ex-works, weighing in at 1727kg, but now with rear seats and rear glass panels replaced with hard panels 1690kg.

70 70 60 are the speed limit figures I use the vehicle at.

LR110 are under the 2040kg unladen mark as well.......

Timpo.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a reply from VOSA about the article 'Spotlight on dual purpose vehicles...' that appeared in the August issue of their newsletter for MoT testers 'Matters of Testing'.

The last paragraph in the article stated...

"Another point to note is that all goods vehicles – even those classed as dual purpose vehicles

– are subject to reduced speed limits on single and dual carriageways."

I thought this to be incorrect, so I wrote to them and included a link to the RTA's Yearbook of Road Transport Law (and various other police websites) that listed the speed limits for dual purpose vehicles as 60 on single carriageways and 70 on dual carriageways. I asked them who was right.

I received VOSA's reply today..

"Dear HoggyN

I can confirm that there is an error in the information printed in MofT which we will correct in our next issue.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Kind Regards"

While they don't specifically say what the error is, I am assuming that they admitting that they were wrong and that the reduced speed limits do not apply.

We will have to wait for the next issue of 'Matters of Testing' to find out. Gripping stuff!

• 3 months later...