Bearmach = Britpart ?

Guest otchie1

Guest otchie1

No, I didn't believe it either.

I ordered some seals and a timing belt kit for a 300TDi from Island4x4 taking care to either specify Bearmach or at least use a part number with a 'G' suffix. G for genuine. Imagine my surprise when I today received a box full of Britpart bits. I phoned Island to enquire what the 'G' means. "Genuine" says he and then, after I explain I already have my order, "Oh, good as genuine - genuine quality." Ahhem. I offered my doubts as to whether Britpart falls into the category of 'genuine quality' and received the ultimate pearl of wisdom from Island4x4, "Well, Britpart and Bearmach get their parts from the same suppliers anyway."

Do Bearmach know I wonder?

So, besides not ever using Island4x4 again unless I want Britpart bits, even though they are a Bearmach approved stockist, where can I be guaranteed to always get Bearmach kit?

I would send it back. You didn't order 'as good as genuine' you ordered 'genuine'.

It is true that some parts are the same, come from the same factory, and simply end up in a blue/white box rather than a white/green box, but personally I'll take the proper genuine stuff, especially if I've paid specifically for it!

Britpart may well share a few suppliers with Bearmach, sometimes they share suppliers with Land Rover too. However, they also share suppliers with Cadburys and Toys-R-Us with stunning regularity, so it's not a great argument.

If you ordered Genuine, then neither Britpart or Bearmach are genuine parts or OE suppliers as far as I'm aware. You will need to check the weasel words on the website for what they say they mean when they put a "G" after a part number though.

For most parts there are only so many manufacturers so it is inevitable that both will supply the same part from the same maker. However, there is no excuse for supplying a patterned part if you ordered genuine because it's 'as good as' in their opinion.

Experience has taught me to buy genuine parts from a main dealer - then there is no question and the quality is generally as good as it gets. Sure they might be cheaper elsewhere but it's always a gamble on what comes through the post!

Si

A few years ago when I was rebuilding my motor, I ordered the major mechanical parts from Turners. When I was on the phone with Frida placing the order for a new cam shaft she asked what I was doing for rollers and lifters. I told her that I had already bought Britpart Roller/lifter kits. She stopped me before I had the chance to finish my sentence. :huh: She told me that if I used Britpart components in the engine, they will not honor their warrantee. :o After discussing it with her, she told me that I could use Bearmach roller/lifter kits with their parts in my engine. :)

Once I had the package of new Bearmach roller/lifts here I decided to take a picture of the two for comparison......

The first two images are the new Britpart parts <_< The third pictures is the Britpart roller that I removed from my engine, that flattened a lobe on the cam shaft. :angry: Finally the fourth picture is the Bearmach roller/lifter that I finally used in my engine.

SO, when I read the title of this thread "Bearmach = Britpart" My reply is H€LL NO! :angry:

Not even close, if you ordered parts that are genuine then thats what should have appeared in the package. Return them!

Todd.

post-194-125072252236_thumb.jpg

post-194-125072261536_thumb.jpg

post-194-125072283582_thumb.jpg

post-194-125072292925_thumb.jpg

Guest otchie1

Uncle Les (may his oily hands never tire) always recommends buying Genuine or Bearmach. I know where to get genuine but can't always afford it and as Bearmach seem to only supply direct to trade, where can us retail bunnies guarantee to get it?

Having read the weasle words, there is no definition of the 'G' suffix and all parts are warranted for 6 months. Re-stocking carries a 15% handling fee.

TBH, the timing belt kit (with Dayco belt) looks sturdy enough with a cast-shouldered bottom sprocket, etc. so I'll probably use it. Whatever quality it may be, if I can't trust them to be up front about the brand they're going to supply then I simply won't order from them again.

Uncle Les (may his oily hands never tire) always recommends buying Genuine or Bearmach. I know where to get genuine but can't always afford it and as Bearmach seem to only supply direct to trade, where can us retail bunnies guarantee to get it?

Having read the weasle words, there is no definition of the 'G' suffix and all parts are warranted for 6 months. Re-stocking carries a 15% handling fee.

TBH, the timing belt kit (with Dayco belt) looks sturdy enough with a cast-shouldered bottom sprocket, etc. so I'll probably use it. Whatever quality it may be, if I can't trust them to be up front about the brand they're going to supply then I simply won't order from them again.

dayco make the genuine belts so you'll be allright there

Bearmach don't supply Britpart, and the quality between the two is miles apart. Unless things have changed - Bearmach shops won't supply Britpart items either, but other oulets, such as Island4x4, The Land Rover Orphanage, etc, do. I fitted a bulkhead outrigger and 2 x radius arm bushes to a 90 yesterday, swivel seal and greaseable TRE on a Disco - all parts were Bearmach and they fitted perfectly and are good quality. The outrigger was well constructed, solid, and fitted correctly (the welding was a bit dodgy though :) )

Les.

bearmach and britpart my use the same suppliers - but that does NOT mean the products quality is the same.

i know of a certain food factory that makes cornflakes for a well known leading brand and also own label cornflakes.

same equipment, same staff, same process. Quality of the ingredients is VASTLY different.

so the factory making water pumps for BM and BP will probably run on the same principle. same moulds, same staff etc. Difference will be the factory will source cheaper bearings, cheaper seals and cheaper metals when putting them together.

Just because the factory name and address and part numbers are the same, dont think its just the packaging thats different. This isnt always the case, but dont presume!

Guest otchie1

Thank you all. Guess I'll have to find a reason to drive over to Maidstone. Shame there isn't a mail order supplier who will let you specify the brand you want :-(

There is a Bearmach shop in Maidstone but that will do next day delivery anyway.

I raced the two freelander with them backing me and everything was posted down to me and I never struggled with anything and if thay didn't make a part themselves it was Gen Part they would supply me anyway.

Problem is cost verses quality you can buy a viscos fan for £40 Britpart or them same part from another brand for £80 but in this climate which would you go for even knowing its could fall off at anytime.

Under the distance selling regulations you can return the unwanted items within 14 days without giving a reason. You will get lumbered with postage though - though in this case the retailer should offer to refund the postage too as he has not fulfilled his part of the contract. Did you pay with a credit card? If so, Google 'section 75' of the 'consumer credit act'.

Chris

bearmach and britpart my use the same suppliers - but that does NOT mean the products quality is the same.

i know of a certain food factory that makes cornflakes for a well known leading brand and also own label cornflakes.

same equipment, same staff, same process. Quality of the ingredients is VASTLY different.

I was talking to a manufacturer of Landy bits recently and he readily admitted that the quality depends on which company has ordered the items.

For commercial reasons he was not going to tell me which company orders what qualities obviously.

So it happens in other fields besides cornflakes!

Quality and cheapness rarely if ever goes together! When inferior quality products are supplied at the same price as the quality products yep it is a rip off.

Brendan